Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Making Cholent On Stovetop

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 7:40 am
Since I'm leaving a flame on anyway would prefer to not use a crockpot. The last time I tried this it was burnish on the bottom and watery on top. I also kept moving pot around on blech all Friday night. Does anyone cook their Cholent like this weekly?

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 7:45 am
Yes. Bring the pot to a boil, then let simmer for as many hours as you have. Even if it's a big pot, place in on the smallest flame you have. Check on it every hour or two to see if it needs more water, until it is completely cooked. Then, let the water cook out mostly, and place on the hotplate. I don't have a need to move it around on shabbos.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 8:50 am
Thanks stars. I don't have a hot plate and will be keeping it on my stovetop. Planning on leaving a flame on for yom tov anyway. That's the part that makes me nervous. Having it sit on a flame all night. Does anyone leave their Cholent on a stovetop regularly?

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 8:54 am
Can you get a blech to cover the flame with? I would not leave food on a flame 24 hours.

naomi6

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 9:08 am
Only on a blech we do it every week low flame

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:20 am
naomi6 wrote:
Only on a blech we do it every week low flame

Thx Naomi 6. Would you mind telling keeps you how you do it? Want to make sure I have the right proportion of water to food. And how high for how long? How early do you start it?
Ty for your help!

glamourmom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:24 am
I make sure it's mostly ready before shabbos. then leave it on flame from zman till I go to sleep. then I move it off the direct flame and when I wake up Shabbos morning I move it back on the flame so it bubbles till served.

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:37 am
glamourmom wrote:
I make sure it's mostly ready before shabbos. then leave it on flame from zman till I go to sleep. then I move it off the direct flame and when I wake up Shabbos morning I move it back on the flame so it bubbles till served.

AYLOR but I don't think you are allowed to move food from lesser to greater heat on shabbos.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:45 am
I learned that if it's fully cooked and still going to be yad soledes bo when I move it to lesser heat, it's okay.
maybe I need to double check.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:47 am
Stars wrote:
AYLOR but I don't think you are allowed to move food from lesser to greater heat on shabbos.

That's part of what makes it hard. Last time I left Cholent on a flame I kept checking and inching it slowly farther and farther from the flame bc I was nervous every it would burn. But knowing that I can't move it back got me worried that it would spoil. That's why I'm looking for clear instructions.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:49 am
Make sure your cholent is fully cooked before Shabbos. Make sure there is enough water, as some will cook out as the night goes by. Have it on a blech on a low flame until after the seuda Friday night then move it slightly that its no longer directly on top of the flame but to the side of the flame...a drop of the pot should still be over the edge of the flame. That works for me.

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:53 am
Still OP I would only put it on a blech. Not straight on an open flame.

PassionFruit

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 12:33 pm
I do this all the time. Put in all the ingredients PLUS much more water than you usually do. Keep stirring as cooking. When it is cooked and the right consistency, add about two more cups of water and put it on the plata. I've never tried a blech. .

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 12:42 pm
Stars wrote:
Still OP I would only put it on a blech. Not straight on an open flame.

Def using a blech. Much easier in Shabbos.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 12:44 pm
[quote="Bizzydizzymommy"]Make sure your cholent is fully cooked before Shabbos. Make sure there is enough water, as some will cook out as the night goes by. Have it on a blech on a low flame until after the seuda Friday night then move it slightly that its no longer directly on top of the flame but to the side of the flame...a drop of the pot should still be over the edge of the flame. That works for me.[/quote
Thx! Great! I'll follow your directions! Hopefully I'll sleep tonight without worrying too much about the Cholent!]

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 4:09 pm
Don't forget to keep a pot of hot water on the blech so you can add some to the cholent if necessary.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 4:46 pm
Thx ra_mom! Will do!

naomi6

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:54 am
Just cook the cholent for about 4 hours Thursday or Friday put on the blech very close to the low flame it should bubble but not strong - you can put in kishka and kugel in silver paper
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus