Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you justify Pesach programs AND tuition assistance???
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
as someone who works in a school the heat/ ac situation drives me nuts. why did it have to be on so high? and lights on at all hours and a running toilet in the ladies tom since February.... oy va voy... I see the dollars flying out the window

HVAC systems are very complicated, especially in older buildings. Quite often, you have to run the system very high in order to heat or cool remote parts of the building. I don't think it's usually that someone wants the heat at 72F!

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:20 am
Its a new school and many of the rooms have their own thermostat. Seriously if the schools are so strapped why do we need ac. As a kid we never had ac in school and that was that it was hot big deal we got used to it.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:03 am
So, no joke, on her last day of school my kid brought home a plastic-bound booklet of... a full color copy of every 4-page newsletter since the beginning of the year. I guess in case it was a mistake that I threw them all out each time? They sent them about every other week. In full color. Over the course of the year I threw out all of those (after I enjoyed reading them, but. And they sent out an email copy too) as well as each week a newsletter from the Hebrew teacher (in black but on colored paper) and a separate one from the English teacher (same) plus a weekly hilchos shabbos thing which was nice in theory and I did use it as a conversation piece but half the time it was based on shitas that we hold differently, hope too many people weren't misled, and I worried that maybe I should be putting it in shaimos instead of the garbage but THERE WAS JUST TOO MUCH PAPER. And they weren't counting them out or anything, so the colored school newsletters and shabbos initiative sheets you multiply by how many girls in the family.

Anyway so that was a lot of garbage over the year but now half of it just came back to haunt me and this time it's plastic-spiral-bound (mind you, this is a real spiral. Not even the kind that you click on with that little machine that all the schools have nowadays but still probably shouldn't be abusing for every little thing) so I'm not sure if I can just get away with tossing it AGAIN or if it's "Special" now.

She also brought home a pillowcase with a picture of her class ironed onto it and everyone signed. She's in love with it. The iron-on picture is already flaking.

And a pack of stationery to keep in touch over the summer. Last year she used two sheets, I think. Maybe now that she knows how to write more it will go better. I didn't see an address list like last year, though. So much for that.

That's in addition to assorted prizes and projects that are par for the course. I do appreciate the value of these little touches. But the spiral bound collection of newsletters that were only interesting to read once - Please. Spare us and keep the change.

Not interested in hearing how no matter how many of these little things you add up it will still be a drop in the bucket. Waste is waste. A penny saved is a penny earned. Etc.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:36 am
I've never heard of anything like this. Speak to the teacher, the principal and the board.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:06 am
Teach them to have newsletters available online and if anyone really wants to see an archived version, it will be there.

That is ridiculous!

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
Its a new school and many of the rooms have their own thermostat. Seriously if the schools are so strapped why do we need ac. As a kid we never had ac in school and that was that it was hot big deal we got used to it.

First of all, do you live without a/c in your home?
It's so nice of you to say the teachers can work without. Personally I would not teach in a school without a/c because I am very sensitive to heat.
The kids learn more and the teachers work better when things are comfortable.
It definitely pays for itself.
A/c is a necessity once it hits the 80's .
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics