Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Jewish neighborhood near Pennsylvania University?

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:05 pm
An Israeli couple intend to spend the Fall Semester in Philadelphia while the husband finishes his doctorate at the Pennsylvania University.

They want to rent a furnished apartment in a Jewish neighborhood, not too far from there.

1. Are there any Shul websites nearby that they can contact for information?
2. Are there any rental websites they can view apartments from? What would be the zip codes?

Thank you!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:08 pm
You might get more success if you rename your thread with the Univ of Pennsylvania, if that is the school to which you are referring.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:19 pm
That's the thing, I'm not exactly sure and neither is she, is that the same as Penn State?

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:38 pm
I'm sure there is a Chabad house in philly. Any Chabad members can help out?

cm

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:55 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
That's the thing, I'm not exactly sure and neither is she, is that the same as Penn State?

University of Pennsylvania and Penn State are not the same.

Univ. of Pennsylvania ("Penn" or "UPenn") is in Philadelphia, so that is probably what you mean.

Penn State has branches all over the state, including one near Philly, but the main campus is in central Pennsylvania.

Hillel at UPenn is very well developed, including an Orthodox arm called JLIC. Here is the Hillel website:
http://www.pennhillel.org/
They probably know where frum graduate students usually live, and can direct you to other resources (synagogues, etc) in the area.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:34 pm
Assuming they are talking about UPenn, which is in Philadelphia, there is a Hillel there with a strong orthodox minyan. There are also communities in Center City (the downtown areas, with easy public transit) and Lower Marion (also public transit, but a bit more limited and longer). You don't say if they have children; if they do, there is almost no infrastructure for children at the university. However, there are several people in the Lower Marion community (my family is one of them) who are either students or faculty at Penn.
At one point, there was an orthodox grad students list serve called 4105, but I don't know if it's still active. The Lower Marion community has a list serve called Lower Marion Shuls. Lower marion is zip code 19004.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:39 pm
They have a baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating