Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stain on Granite

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 12:58 am
Has anyone removed a stain from granite?
I've read online about making a paste with various ingredients like for example baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, leaving it on the stain covered in plastic wrap, and then either scraping off or moistening it again with some more hydrogen peroxide and wiping off.
Just wondering if anyone has tried this and has had success? I'm a little apprehensive about all this.
Thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:52 pm
WHat kind of stain does granite get? I just put in grantite coutnertops, what do I need to know so they don't get stained/

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
WHat kind of stain does granite get? I just put in grantite coutnertops, what do I need to know so they don't get stained/

Do you have an extra piece? Test it with wine, oil, mustard, lemon juice...

cbg

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:58 pm
What type of stain, I thought granite doesn't absorb stains.
My granite is dark,Uba Tuba (that's what it's called) so no stains show up

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:59 pm
Unfortunately I don't have an extra piece to test if the baking soda would harm it.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:

Oil is something that stains. It depends on the granite. How porous it is. How light the color is. How well it it sealed. Sharp items like vinegar can damage the stone too.

cbg wrote:
What type of stain, I thought granite doesn't absorb stains.
My granite is dark,Uba Tuba (that's what it's called) so no stains show up

We moved in and I noticed that one area wasn't as shiny as the other areas and some sealant was missing. Low and behold a few months later my daughter left an orange piece of paper on the counter overnight with water spilled around and there's now an orange spot the size of a half dollar in one area where the dye seeped in. I tried my best with granite cleaner and it has faded and not terribly noticeable with the design of the stone but I want to get rid of it ASAP and have my dh reseal the stone.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:03 pm
The paste does not work. The place I bought my granite from told me to do it so I did and it didn't make any difference. I have lots of stains. I was told to stay away from oil and vinegar mainly, those two really stain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics