Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Cold soup for the summer

smile

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 8:33 am
Anyone knows of soup which one can eat cold in the hot summer?
Fruit or anything which is not fruit, is also welcome.

katb

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 8:54 am
I love gazpacho, you can search online for a recipe. or cold cucumber soup is also yum

willow

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:54 am
Cucumber soup, gazpacho, Zucchini, pepper or asparagus. I made a lovely fruit soup for Shabbos using all my fruit that was going but you can make any type of fruit soup.

BZBEE

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:56 am
In the summer, I usually make fruit soup only (during the week). It's too hot, and I find that we eat less in the summer anyway.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 7:47 pm
vichycoise (can be made milky or parve, though I prefer milky)
cold green peas and mint soup
borscht

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 1:54 am
I made chilled carrot soup last night and it was great. You could probably do it with any vegetable.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:20 am
can people post exact recipes? thanks

Pizza

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:40 am
PLEASE - how do you make the zucchini, pepper, and cold green peas and mint soups?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 8:50 am
green peas and mint soup

1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large potato (or 2 medium), peeled and cut in chunks
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, cut in strips
1lb frozen baby peas (petit pois)
vegetable soup mix
fresh mint leaves

In a large soup pot, sautee onion and celery with a bit of oil for about 10minutes till onion becomes transparent (don't burn). Add potato, season with salt and vegetable soup mix, pour enough water to cover the vegetables (about 1litre). Simmer for 20min or so till potato is very tender, near collapsing.
Add shredded lettuce and frozen peas, cook for another 5-10min. Turn off heat, add a handful of torn fresh mint leaves. Blend/puree in the food processor (you can also use hand-held blender except it won't come as smooth). Refrigerate and serve chilled, with a dollop of creme fraiche/yogurt/sourcream and a bit more torn mint leaves or crouton as optional garnishes.

Enough for about 6 people.

elmos

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 3:20 pm
I make a tomato rice soup that I lke room temp others in my family like hot its not as great rt out of the fridge but I leave it out for 1/2hr to an hour to "warm".
I sute an onion usually have been known to forget I take 3 large cans tomato Juice and 2cups of brown rice and 5 cups water and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring it to a boil and simmer till rice is cooked to your liking.
You canuse white rice if you want. It freezes very well also.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:07 am
Resuscitating for the season.

Cold fruit soup

2 tart, cooking apples
1lb nectarines/plums (can be under ripe/over ripe)
300g unsweetened cherries (can be tinned or frozen)
1 cup sweet wine (red or white)
1 heap tbsp. cornstarch
cinnamon
sugar/honey/fructose

Peel, core and slice apples. Remove stones and cut nectarines/plums in small chunks. Add fruits (save a few cherries for garnishes) in a soup pot with wine, 4-5 cups of water, simmer for 25min or so till the fruits are soft.

It’s much easier to make now that I can find frozen pitted unsweetened cherries (thanks to smoothies craze), I used to pit fresh ones by hand!

======
Vanilla infused melon soup (non-cook)

2 very ripe (or overripe) melons
1 lb milk or non-dairy milk alternative
1 tbsp runny honey
1-2 drops of vanilla extract, or 1/4 teasp vanilla pod paste
1/4 cup sweet white wine or white grape juice

Peel and remove seeds from melons, cut in chunks. (Use either orange-fleshed or green-fleshed ones but don’t mix 1 of each). Blend with milk, honey and vanilla

=======
Curried parsnip soup

1 onion, peeled, trimmed, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2-3 parsnips, peeled, cut in small chunks
1 veggie soup cube
salt & pepper, curry powder
1 cup milk

Sautee vegetables with 1-2tbsp oil and a sprinkle of salt for 10-15min over a low flame. They should sweat but should not turn brown. (The slow sauteeing brings out sweetness). Add 1/2 tbsp curry powder, soup cube, 3 cups water, and simmer covered for 30min or so till all vegetables are very soft. Turn off heat, add milk (if keeping parve, skip milk but use 1 cup additional water), blend till smooth. Check seasoning. Serve chilled, possibly with a bit of olive oil drizzled with a dash of curry powder on top.

========
Yogurt cucumber soup

400ml low fat or non-fat plain unsweetened yogurt
2 cucumbers
3-4 bunch of dill
3-4 bunch of flat leaf parsley
Juice from ½ lemon
1 garlic clove, peeled
Salt & pepper
Olive oil
Garnish (choose any of: chopped dill, chopped red peppers, pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachio nuts or pine nuts)

Cut cucumbers into small chunks (remove seeds if you’re using seedy variety). Wash herbs, remove parsley leaves from stems. Blend yogurt, cucumbers, herbs, lemon juice, garlic together. Season with S&P, add water or milk if it looks too thick. Let flavours blend for at least 1hr. Serve chilled, with drizzle of olive oil and garnish.

This is exactly like eating liquid tzatziki!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:13 am
I just made minestrone, it's at any temperature. I made it as alphabet soup.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:41 am
For an extremely easy fruit soup, just puree canned peaches and chill. You can add some sparkling white grape juice or white wine for a little more nuance. Add some whole blueberries to each bowl when serving for a contrast of color and texture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics