Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Transport is [not actually] soooo expensive - vent

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:59 am
Eta- read to the end of the thread I found a much cheaper way.....

Just getting this off my system. Went to the new library. It's 10 minutes drive by car. But to get there on public transport is 2 buses and a train. Cost with kids about. $26. We came back in a maxitaxi for not much more than this. But more than $50 to visit the library??? I don't see well enough to drive, but I don't have bad enough vision, BH, to qualify for any transport concessions. Grrr.

Last edited by MitzadSheini on Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:38 am
Where do you live? For us to get to anywhere in town, including the library, it's only 15 shekels ($3.88) each way.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:44 am
Sadly not in Israel.

Oh well. It was just a vent. Nice library though. (and there is a more accessible library that we always go to so I should stop complaining. It's just that this is a really nice new one and it's probably only about 4 km away (2.5 as the crow flies). But very hilly area and not walkable).

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 5:55 am
Maybe it would be worth it to get a Kindle.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 6:03 am
transport in my city is a similar amount. Sad bh I drive but we have only one car so its not always available. I tend to do a mixture of walking and buses. Like I will walk half the way and take a bus or train for half. Also, some cities offer free transfers - you might need to buy a different type of ticket.

Some cities offer free transport for kids under 12 which I think is amazing and would go a long way to getting people out of cars.

A kindle is not cheap! You need the device, then each book costs about the same as a print book. Plus each kid might need their own kindle to avoid fights.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 6:19 am
Kindle is an different idea but I feel there are too many screens in this house already. And a trip to the library is an outing. And gosh it is such a beautiful library. Kids can even slide down an enclosed slide to get between floors.

Anyway very good news - one of ny kids worked out that there is a single bus that leaves about 15 minutes walk away that goes directly there. It only goes once per hour but that should bring it down to about $15 for the round trip. BH.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 6:54 am
That sounds more doable. I hope you are all able to enjoy another such outing soon!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:19 am
why not go with a friend who drives? She might shlepp you for free if you're going places she and her family want to go anyway. But offer to pay a bit and she would likely accept a heck of a lot less than $50 to take you to the library.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:27 am
It's a good idea about the ride but there is a bunch of us and they would need a big car with spare seats. But we have already been back on the other single (and therefore much cheaper bus) and had a really great time!

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 4:18 am
To make yourself feel better, work out how much it would cost to run a car - there is the price of the car, upkeep, repairs, taxes, insurance. then each time you use it you have to pay for gas and possibly parking. (this is assuming you would need to buy a car if you were driving, and not just use a car you have sitting around, ie your husband doesn't need it to get to work) If you work it out per trip cars also cost money.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:54 pm
try to make it about the adventure ... and good to explore different [& less expensive] routes

mtzadhasheini wrote:
It's just that this is a really nice new one and it's probably only about 4 km away (2.5 as the crow flies)

interesting saying ~ you sound so foreign I suddenly detect an accent ... I'm guessing crows fly quicker than you or the kiddies can travel Wink

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:40 pm
Greenfire is right. If you're going by public transportation then turn it into part of the activity. Make up stories about the people you see or look for different license plates or some other game that doesn't involve schlepping along supplies.

If you don't need the long outing to pass the time and just want bools, does your local library have reciprocity with any other libraries? My library is part of a system and we can request up to 50 books at a time. We very rarely run out of reading material!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 4:40 pm
mtzadhasheini wrote:
Kindle is an different idea but I feel there are too many screens in this house already. And a trip to the library is an outing. And gosh it is such a beautiful library. Kids can even slide down an enclosed slide to get between floors.

Anyway very good news - one of ny kids worked out that there is a single bus that leaves about 15 minutes walk away that goes directly there. It only goes once per hour but that should bring it down to about $15 for the round trip. BH.

I am totally with you about libraries being a wonderful outing. Plus you come home with lots of goodies that you can access on Shabbos too. This library sounds amazing! Do you have to return the books to the same library?
When gas was expensive, we spent a lot to go to distant libraries - 10-15 miles away - when there were fun programs. I hope the public transport's not too grueling.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 5:32 pm
Lots of good ideas about how it costs money to run a car and the journey is just as important as the destination..... The single bus takes half an hour to get there because it goes all over the place, so treating it as an adventure is important.

As the crow flies means in a straight line.

I may have accidently outed myself with that one. Whoops.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 6:29 pm
as the crow flies is a british saying afaik. Not exactly foreign. A well read american might also use it. It is probably known in english speaking country.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:45 pm
Raisin wrote:
as the crow flies is a british saying afaik. Not exactly foreign. A well read american might also use it. It is probably known in english speaking country.

I didn't know "as the crow flies" is English. I guess I'm well-read ;-)

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:00 am
Raisin wrote:

Is it really? I'm pretty sure I've heard if from Americans as well, I have always thought it was in common use by English speakers. We have a similar expression in Hebrew: כמעוף הציפור As a bird flies - meaning the same thing - just not specifically a crow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics