Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Who can I call if I think countertop burners has gas smell?

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 4:26 pm
I wont get a plumber on a Friday. Who would come quickly so Id know if the smell is gas or not and whether I can use it today?

Do I call Brooklyn Union Gas?

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
I wont get a plumber on a Friday. Who would come quickly so Id know if the smell is gas or not and whether I can use it today?

Do I call Brooklyn Union Gas?

They'll turn off all gas in the building if they think there's a problem. Then it will take you a week to have someone come fix the problem and to bring back the gas company to turn it back on again after proving it was fixed.
Don't use the burners and have your dh find and turn off the gas underneath the burners until up can call a repair person.

ROFL

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 4:42 pm
Too dangerous to have. Please I hope you already called the gas company.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:16 pm
well if you don't know how to turn off the gas ... you need the gas company to turn it off

gas can be so dangerous the entire building could blow up ~ don't play with fire

bluebird

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:19 pm
If you rent, call your landlord right now and ask them to come test your stove. You can also buy an electronic leak detector and do some testing. If you think you have a leak, turn off the gas valve right now and don't use it. Better to have shabbat be difficult than dead.

cm

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 6:49 pm
Definitely call the gas company. I'm not in Brooklyn, so YMMV, but when I smelled gas the utility company was at my house within an hour and fixed the leak on the spot.

Malfunctioning gas stoves can be deadly; please don't wait.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics