Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NJ DMV question

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:12 pm
Hi all. I'm moving to NJ soon. I recently got my drivers license in NY. My driving instructor told me that she heard I should not switch my license for a NJ one until my current one is at least 6 months old, or I will have to retake the driving test. I can't seem to find any official rule that states that. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? I really don't want to go through the testing process all over again.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:22 pm
beshaa tova! on your move. why dont you call dmv in nj and ask. we dont keep up with the rules here on imamothers.

usually when your coming from another country they make you take the test again. bec the rules and regulations are different. but please call them its easy and youll get an answere pretty quickly. and please let us know what they said. thank you.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:40 pm
Lol. Thanks for the answer, Sourstix. I have an aversion to having any dealings with any DMV unless absolutely necessary, so I figured I'd ask here first. Guess I'll have to make the phone call anyway Wink

gibberish

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:11 pm
According the DMV, your license just has to be non-provisional.

To transfer your out-of-state license
Visit any MVC Agency with your current driver license (Basic Auto/Motorcycle) and the proper legal documents to pass the 6 point ID requirements
Purchase a driver permit ($10)
Knowledge and road tests are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Territories of American Samoa and Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.**
You will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and will be required to surrender your out-of-state license

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Veh.....1.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating