Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 22  23  24  Next

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:21 pm
I do represent it but my hashkafos have changed due to my experiences. I look it but struggle with it. And I don't mean the ger family relationships. That wasn't a discussion by the teachers. I mostly didn't even have ger teachers. I had from Bais yakov. So I basically got a BY education. But I struggle with hashkafos. So technically I am their graduate. And I was a very good girl. But my life experience s made me question Yiddishkeit. I don't blame the school.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:25 pm
Another byla grad, 2002. The school has (at least had) a wide range of students, so in that respect I am somewhat a representative of the school, though I am far from the girl I was when I graduated 14 years ago.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the first from BYLA?

I can't say that there is a very specific "poster girl" but I probably was at some point. Maybe even still am to an extent.

I also went to BYLA (I assume you mean Bais Yaakov of Los Angeles)?

By "poster girl" do you mean the hanhala's ideal representative of a student? I was definitely a very "good girl" in high school, maybe I wore my shirt untucked sometimes, but I loved school and had absolutely no desire to make waves or rebel or stand out.

In terms of what the school aims to produce years down the line, I'm an average poster girl I guess? Husband learned in Mir and Lakewood but is working now. My kids go to yeshivish schools, from my short sheitel to my tights nothing I wear would get a second glance from my Chumash teachers, etc.

On the inside, I've changed though, and certainly not in a "poster girl for Bais Yaakov" way. I (mostly unapologetically) read problematic books, watch movies, believe in things like evolution and a billions-year-old universe, think that gay people should be allowed to get married, wonder how to answer my son when he asks how tall Og Melech HaBashan was [oh, I remember that I learned a midrash that a 10-amah tall Moshe jumped 10 amos and reached out with his 10-amah-long stick and only hit Og's ankle, but my scientifically-minded 6 year old is too smart for that and I can't overwhelm his internal BS-detector with the power of my faith], etc.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:40 pm
Hi LAers Very Happy Looks like I overlapped with at least one of you, I graduated in 2004.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:40 pm
I went to Breuer's in Washington Heights. We all came from different backgrounds to begin with so I think I stayed true to my upbringing..(although I am not a Yekee, I am certainly more punctual than all my yekee friends). The Alumni is very diverse working, learning, Rabbis, Rebbetzin..OTD etc.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Hi LAers Very Happy Looks like I overlapped with at least one of you, I graduated in 2004.

2005 Wave

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:45 pm
I went to bais Yakov adas yeriem(vein) and I'm definitely a proud representative of my school its a great school

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:47 pm
Erased not applicable

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
Unless you've heard of these schools, I'm guessing this thread means nothing to many of us.

Growing up in Queens, I am totally unfamiliar with Bklyn girls' schools. I know a bit more about the boys' schools, only because I had cousins who attended some of them.

And the schools I went to either shut their doors or merged with a larger school years ago.
Yeshiva Dov Revel and Yeshiva High School of Queens (YHSQ), anyone?

I am a product of the home I grew up in and the one I currently share with my husband and children. Not of the schools I attended.

My dad went to Dov Revel Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
(Sorry for the tangent everyone) I didn't know mrs stern opened a school. So now the more Rw crowd goes to her school? Bergen county girls go to maayanot. So it's centrist central jersey girls now?
It's interesting because soon after I graduated mrs Newman left and the school had apparently moved more to the right.

We had quite a few girls from Passaic in Bais Yaakov of Monsey in my day (including Mrs. Stern's daughter). I didn't know Bruriah also lost girls to Passaic when they opened their own high school.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:04 pm
I went to Académie de Danse Princesse Grace in Monte Carlo. Anyone else? Wink

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:05 pm
Bobov straight through ( I think I'm the first one here) Like others said before, the school changed a lot since my days which isnt even so long ago. Used to be considered more of a neutral school but it became very "bobov". Theyre very into the rav etc.. I think I can be considered a typical Bobov graduate

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
We had quite a few girls from Passaic in Bais Yaakov of Monsey in my day (including Mrs. Stern's daughter). I didn't know Bruriah also lost girls to Passaic when they opened their own high school.

That's interesting because one of mrs sterns daughters was in bruriah with me (a few years older).

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
I went to bais Yakov adas yeriem(vein) and I'm definitely a proud representative of my school its a great school

Me too Wave

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
I went to Bais Yakkov Montreal too. I don't think they frowned upon michlalah and Stern. There was a pretty big range of types there.

Not sure when you graduated but when I graduated in the mid 80s, Michlalah was the only seminary that we needed to get special permission to hear about from the alumnus who came to speak about seminaries. When it comes to college, all colleges were frowned upon (except maybe Touro) & in general we were taught that going to college was like walking into a room where a hammer falls from the ceiling on the 100th person who walks into the room & you never know if #99 walked in right before you...

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:12 pm
1683 yes we're a family.... Machon! I loved my high school years and was definitely a poster student- G.O., very involved in play, yediah klalis, grade representitive at graduation plus a bunch of jobs in between (if you are a machin graduate you'll get what I'm saying!). Not sure if I would send my girls (as of yet non, I only have boys bli yin Hara).

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:52 pm
I went to BY Detroit and given the principal was [not nice] - I am gladly not a product of the school or their philosophy. I will not send my daughter to any bais yaakov hashgafa school.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:19 pm
I went to BY Miami....definitely not the poster child :-) I'm more typical of what it used to be, not what it is now. But I did marry my principals cousin! Graduated in 2000

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:32 pm
Another BYAer here. I would say that there is one type of very stereotypical BYA graduate, but the rest of the girls can be very diverse. I wouldn't say I am a poster child for BYA, exactly, but no one would be surprised that I went to school there.

Also, BYA is changing in a way that reflects the times... It's different now than when I graduated, which wasn't that long ago!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
I went to BY Detroit and given the principal was [not nice] - I am gladly not a product of the school or their philosophy. I will not send my daughter to any bais yaakov hashgafa school.

That is sad!!! So what type of school would you send your kids to?
Page 5 of 24   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics