Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Jackson garbage, recycling and other daily living tips
1  2  Next

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:03 am
Hi, I'm moving from lakewood to Jackson.

Please helps figure out how garbage pickup works and share any other living in Jackson tips you have.

For recycling, does township provide containers or do I have to buy my own and place township stickers onto them? If my own- what type, color and where to buy.

Is it really picked up once every two weeks?

Is there a code as to where I'm allowed to keep garbage cans during the week?

On the zone list the "location" next to my street name is mentioned as a specific block of aaid street (a small segment of a long street a full block away from my house). What does that mean - that I have to get my cans over there?? Or does that refer to bulk pickup only?

How do you arrange non-recycling?

Any other tips about household management specific to iackson like mowing your lawn, or having it mowed etc. would be truly appreciated.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:07 am
Do you have Jewish neighbors? Why don't you ask them? It's so much easier then getting answers here. And even non Jewish neighbors can answer this. Be nice and respectful to them. They will surely return in kind.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 8:20 am
sourstix wrote:
Do you have Jewish neighbors? Why don't you ask them? It's so much easier then getting answers here. And even non Jewish neighbors can answer this. Be nice and respectful to them. They will surely return in kind.

Thank you for taking time to respond but seriously, this answer is of no help and smacks of misplaced mussar.

No, there are no Jewish neighbors, so there's a reason I'm asking here- cause it's the fastest and easiest, and most productive. I need to take care of my garbage pickups before the move.

I'm not going to drive out there, knock on strange people's doors and discuss the amount of garbage my household produces and the number of trash cans I need to procure. Not most proper way to meet your new non-Jewish neighbors. I think I'm more chilled to discuss this with other Jewish homemakers who are in charge of households that produce a similar amount of waste.

These are probably questions for township but I assume fellow imamothers will spare me the trip and share their experience in under 2 minutes, while pointing out some other useful issues that I may be unaware of, as a current lakewood resident.

Thank you soooo much for telling me to be nice and respectful to nonjewish neighbors. Not sure what in my original simple trash management question prompted the need for this sage advice. It's kinda insulting to insinuate I would be anything but nice and respectful but whatever. I may be overly sensitive.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 8:23 am
Another question: moving from lakewood condo where maintenance takes care of everything, what should I be aware of living in a private house, in Jackson?

I can think only of mowing the grass and shoveling snow. Anything else?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:14 am
L K wrote:
Thank you for taking time to respond but seriously, this answer is of no help and smacks of misplaced mussar.

No, there are no Jewish neighbors, so there's a reason I'm asking here- cause it's the fastest and easiest, and most productive. I need to take care of my garbage pickups before the move.

I'm not going to drive out there, knock on strange people's doors and discuss the amount of garbage my household produces and the number of trash cans I need to procure. Not most proper way to meet your new non-Jewish neighbors. I think I'm more chilled to discuss this with other Jewish homemakers who are in charge of households that produce a similar amount of waste.

These are probably questions for township but I assume fellow imamothers will spare me the trip and share their experience in under 2 minutes, while pointing out some other useful issues that I may be unaware of, as a current lakewood resident.

Thank you soooo much for telling me to be nice and respectful to nonjewish neighbors. Not sure what in my original simple trash management question prompted the need for this sage advice. It's kinda insulting to insinuate I would be anything but nice and respectful but whatever. I may be overly sensitive.

Ya think?

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
Ya think?

Another helpful reply, from imamother no less.
You guys have nothing better what to do? If you can't help me with information, and you don't know me- why do you feel the need to comment?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:35 am
home maintenance:
- Fall: Rake Leaves, clean gutters
- Winter: Shovel
- Spring\Summer: Mow lawn, trim bushes

- suggested yearly maintenance:
- seal driveway
- Clean outside A\C unit
- monthly in summer change A\C Unit filter

that is what I can think of off hand

I don't live in Jackson, NJ - but saw this - is it true - you need to hire pickup ?
http://www.jacksontwpnj.net/in.....ction
They do have info regarding bulk trash and leaf pickup.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:12 am
Sky, thank you for the ideas.

I have to look into driveway sealing bec I've never heard of it. Does it have to do with using ice melt in winter? What season do you do it?

For Gutters - can I clean them myself, or are professionals necessary?

I actually checked out Jackson dpw before posting here but I'm still missing info on regular recycling (not bulk).

Regular trash- yes, you have to arrange and pay privately. I'm looking for a good company, if someone can recommend- I'll be grateful.

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:15 am
L K wrote:

I have to look into driveway sealing bec I've never heard of it. Does it have to do with using ice melt in winter? What season do you do it?

I actually checked out Jackson dpw before posting here but I'm still missing info on regular recycling (not bulk).

Regular trash- yes, you have to arrange and pay privately. I'm looking for a good company, if someone can recommend- I'll be grateful.

So interesting about paying privately for garbage removal.
Ooc approximately how much does this cost?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:17 am
L K wrote:

Driveway can be sealed any time other than the winter. Honestly we haven't been that great at doing it the past few years - but it supposed to protect it against rain, snow, sun, ice, etc and help it last longer - looking nicer.

My DH cleans our gutters himself but they aren't too high up - all he uses is a ladder and really good gloves. I'd imagine for a very tall house with high gutters it would be more difficult.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:58 pm
L K wrote:

You can probably call the township public works instead of driving out there.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 1:28 pm
cnc wrote:
So interesting about paying privately for garbage removal.
Ooc approximately how much does this cost?

I'll be able to post when I have the info.
I haven't gotten contacts from the previous owners, that's why im still looking for a company now.

I don't remember seeing the neighbors' cans out- otherwise I would to ably see the company names on them.

sahmof5

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:29 pm
Jackson Township picks up recycling every other Monday. (at least in my zone, I can't say for sure it's Monday in all the zones) The current homeowner should leave a can for you. If you need additional cans, you can use a few of your own. For more details, you can call Jackson public works.
For regular trash pickup, there are a few companies that would do it. You can call them for a quote /price comparison. They usually pickup every Friday, and some people pay a bit more for pickup twice a week - Tuesday and Friday. You can try waste management, and tri state carting.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:46 pm
welcome to jackson nj -it's a beautiful place to live
when I get the info on garbage pickup contact info, I'll post it
but yes, for regular garbage, you need to pay yearly for either 1 X pick up or twice.
recyclables I believe is free & it's every other week. it was just picked up this past thursd.
for regular garbage, the company brings the garbage cans & for recyclables you could buy yellow cans, or just use regular & write on it "recyclables"

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:16 pm
for Regular Garbage:
(800) 346-2035, Freehold carting, Tue and or Fri, they have different plans available.
______________________________________________________-

Recycling: look at the website.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:53 pm
I've called DPW, they clarified that "location" on the zone list is for police and such to have an idea of street location. Has nothing to do with pickup apparently.

Any leads which large garbage can brands are ok quality, both 30 gal and robo-cans?
I see prices online ranging from $90 to $300 for robo-cans on wheels.
They told me it could be any color up to 30 gallon, or a large robo-can.

It looks like Freehold Carting is the cheapest, Waste Management is a drop more expensive, and then it goes up.

Looking forward to the move!

sahmof5

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 4:14 pm
I find it so interesting that the dpw said zone only affects police etc.! I know it definitely affects the schedule for once a year brush pickup and once a year leaf pickup.

Are you looking for a large robo can for recycling? I haven't seen that anywhere in Jackson - did the dpw tell you that's okay? I'd be interested to know.... Right now I use the little cans.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 6:18 pm
sahmof5 wrote:
I find it so interesting that the dpw said zone only affects police etc.! I know it definitely affects the schedule for once a year brush pickup and once a year leaf pickup.

Are you looking for a large robo can for recycling? I haven't seen that anywhere in Jackson - did the dpw tell you that's okay? I'd be interested to know.... Right now I use the little cans.

Not the zone but "location" column on the zone list.
It goes like this: street---zone----location.

Zone does matter, its the "location" thing that threw me off.
Apparently, location column lists some cross streets for reference; that has nothing to do with garbage or zone.

DPW told me to keep cans under 30 gallons, unless it's a robo-can that can be grabbed by the garbage truck's arm, or hand.

Which cans do you like? You have to carry them I imagine unless they are large wheeled ones. What's a good place to buy them?

Signed,
spoiled by Lakewood township's $50 jumbo trash cans.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 6:20 pm
[quote="amother"]welcome to jackson nj -it's a beautiful place to live
when I get the info on garbage pickup contact info, I'll post it

Orchid, thank you for the welcome and info.

Come visit me after I move Smile

L K

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 6:23 pm
Oh guys, do you mow your own lawns or use a company?

I got a quote for $30/weekly cut.
I'll have to pay at least in the beginning, since I don't have the equipment anyway; and I can't let the grass grow indefinitely and risk getting a ticket and/or annoy neighbors.

Any leads for pool guys or diy?

What's a smart and economical way to go about it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics