Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How to check out a house?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 6:01 pm
when you are looking into buying a house, what do you look out for? what do you ask about?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 6:04 pm
that depends on your needs. how many bedrooms do you want? do you need a private driveway/garage? backyard? how big a kitchen do you need? how many bathrooms? is there enough closet space? etc.

you may find it easier to look at some houses before deciding what the important things are. looking may help you narrow down your list.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 6:43 pm
that much I know, I'm asking about the things you don't see... heat/a/c, water pressure, leaks, mice, bugs, electricity, plumbing,etc.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 6:47 pm
About mice and bugs, look carefully in cupboards, shelves, cabinets, drawers and anywhere food is stored for droppings and suspicious spots

freedomseek

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 8:40 pm
Do a professional house inspection otherwise you won't know what the foundation is like, water issues, electrical and so on

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:04 pm
You can't spot all these things on your own or even know what to look for. That's why you pay for a professional home inspection.

HelloG

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:09 pm
First thing I pay for an inspector. Worth the few hundred dollars.

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:49 pm
As others have said, there is too much to look for that could be extremely costly that will be invisible to the untrained eye. This is one area where you shouldn't look to cut corners. Insist on a professional inspection.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:32 pm
Op even if you're willing to crawl around looking for damp and droppings, I'm assuming you won't be willing to go on the roof?
Get an inspector.
Oh, and do not buy a house with a history of water in the basement. 😁

momtra

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 12:07 am
How much heating/ electric bills are monthly. About the neighbors. If they did any substantial work to the house and who they used ( what contractor etc) how old appliances are

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 7:29 am
I wasn't planning to do without an inspector!! I just don't like feeling so clueless and relying completely on someone else.
About water in the basement, one house I'm looking at just flooded from the storm last week, they claim it's a one time thing because they weren't home to clean the drains... what does that really mean and what could it involve...
There are water marks on the dining room ceiling, but they claim to have fixed the roof, maybe it would be prone to future leaks?
Stairway banister recently new but it's shaky. I'm sure we could strengthen it, but it gives me the impression things were done cheaply

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 7:49 am
If you are buying a house that may end up being a fixer, it is well worth it to get TWO inspections, and compare notes.

I used to flip houses for a living, and I learned a LOT of lessons the hard way. Ooooh, the stories I could tell...

For future reference, when you do need major repairs, get THREE estimates. I needed a new roof once, the estimates I got varied so wildly it was unbelievable. Same thing with plumbing and electrical stuff. I'm not just talking about finding the lowest prices. Some people will come across really shady, and you'll realize that maybe the most expensive guy will do the best job, or the middle priced guy will give you the most honest estimate. Use your gut instinct here.

All this is doubly true if you are dealing with men, and they see a woman asking for estimates. I was single when I was doing the houses, and some really thought I must be a sucker, while others treated me very professionally, with a lot of respect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating