Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you know that sheitals are really mutter?
Previous  1  2  3  4

tryinghard

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 8:43 pm
happysmile1 wrote:
I don't think calling a letter from a recent Gadol who passed away outdated is a proper thing to do. Do we not learn sefarim from the Chofetz Chaim who lived decades ago? Would we call them outdated?
The Gedolim who signed these letters (and some are still alive) were Gedolim who lived in more recent times. They saw what was going on with the wigs. And the wigs that were around when they were alive (just a few years ago) weren't even as nice as todays wigs. So how much more so would they scream about the most recent wigs (lace fronts, highlights etc...)

We would not necessarily take a letter from a Gadol as a psak, particularly when it is from so long ago. Sefarim are not letters. Different thing entirely.

Regardless, to address the OP's question, how do I know that sheitels are muttar? Because the Poskim upon whom I rely on a regular basis for halachic guidance and instruction hold that way. It's very nice that there are many Poskim who hold otherwise. That's for their "constituents" (adherents? talmidim?) to follow. I don't feel any compunction to burn my wigs, any more than I am running to shave my head, wear tights even under long skirts, throw out my denim skirts, or tell my son to stop playing ball when he reaches a certain age.

happysmile1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:29 pm
The Gedolim weren't only addressing women in Israel. They meant it universally. Rav Elyashiv was the Gadol Hador for the whole world, not just Israel. In the Unique Princess by Rebbetzin Tehilla Abramov it says (the book was published right before Rav Elyashiv passed away):

"Maran Rav Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, shlita, has clearly stated that in his opinion it is preferable for a woman to cover her hair with a kerchief rather than a wig. He constantly expresses his concern about the use of wigs that are not modest - a practice which he says, has made inroads even in to the families of pious men and roshei yeshivas.
Maran Rav Shlomo Zalman Aeurbach, zt"l expressed the same concern. As he once put it to Rav Dan Segal, shlita "They cover their hair and then make every effort to make it look uncovered. This, in my opinion, is a loathsome thing. But who can we talk to?" He also said that when Mashiach comes, the first thing he'll do is abolish the use of wigs (as quoted by his son-in-law). Many halachic authorities and Torah scholars in our times agree with this approach." (page 105)

happysmile1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:36 pm
Rabbi Feuer who used to live in Monsey, NY recently spoke on a worldwide teleconference for women before Shavuos. He spoke very strongly about todays sheitels and then make it very clear that the tichel is the most mehudar. You could hear his speech on Chazak and Inspire by Wire.
You could also hear it on a relatively new phone line called Rosh Pina- it's an amazing line meant to give chizuk and support to those women who would like to upgrade their head covering- particularly those women who are wearing or trying to wear tichels. There are many personal stories and shiurim on the phone line. Rabbi Feuer's shiur was recently added.
Rabbi Ephraim Wachsman also spoke about the tichel at an asifa in Brooklyn and Lakewood about a year ago. The asifas were held in memory of the four kedoshim of Har Nof. You could hear his amazing speech about sheitels and tichels on Rosh Pina too. The phone number is 845-533-9191

happysmile1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:43 pm
I actually called many Rabbanim and Poskim in America about this topic and many of them told me the same thing. They would privately endorse tichels but they are nervous to do so publicly because they feel the generation is weak. Some also told me they would but their wives wear sheitels so it would make it difficult to talk publicly about tichels.

But it's slowly changing- many women are starting to recognize the hypocrisy of many of the wigs and are trying to wear tichels. And now with some new books out about the topic, women are now getting more educated about the mitzvah of kisui rosh. The current day wigs only stem from a lack of education about why we cover and the purpose of our head covering.

Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:45 pm
miami85 wrote:
YB"L= yibadeh l'chaim, I.e. may he live long

Doesn't Yibadel Lechaim mean - to separate his name from other people who have since died on that list?

"May he live long" would be a translation of Shlita (shyichye li'orech yamim tovim aruchim).

Carry on, ladies.

(But once I'm here anyway, Americans can and do follow different poskim. Examples abound. So to the extent there are literally hundreds of American poskim who allow their American followers to wear sheitels, OP are you claiming they are all wrong?)

tryinghard

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:15 pm
happysmile1 wrote:
The Gedolim weren't only addressing women in Israel. They meant it universally. Rav Elyashiv was the Gadol Hador for the whole world, not just Israel.

That's not what I said. I said that they are not our Poskim. I do not follow many of Rav Elyashiv's piskei halacha, though I respected and revered him. Even if he said it for everyone, that doesn't make his psak binding on everyone.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:00 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

The entire idea of a married woman covering her hair was a gezeira started to prevent men from raping an eshes ish. The idea was that if her hair was covered, he'd identify her as married and know not to mess around with an eishis ish.

I cannot begin to describe how sick this makes me. The Muslims have it right then. Because, NO ONE SHOULD BE IDENTIFIABLE AS RAPABLE! Since when is it acceptable to rape single women?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels