Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
All-encompassing gemach in a warehouse

goldrose

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:39 pm
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a concept such as the following exists in any of the NY/NJ communities:

The Chicago community has a gemach headed by the Chicago Chesed Fund, that is in a large warehouse. It is like shopping in TJ Maxx, except everything is FREE. Many of the items available are new, and if not, it's in excellent condition. The items are the equivalent of what an upscale children's boutique would sell (brand names, European brands too) . Including clothing, shoes, accessories. Also strollers, cribs, and all kinds of baby equipment. Car seats, toys, bicycles, games. There's also school supplies and seforim. And linens (towels, pillows etc). There's also a huge furniture section: couches, tables and chairs, bedroom sets, washers/dryers, refrigerators. Obviously not everything is available all the time.

Community members donate what they don't need, and volunteers (or paid employees) sort through the donations and keep what's good.

New York /New Jersey are much bigger communities than Chicago, so I would imagine that if Chicago can pull this off, NY/NJ can too.
Anyone know if it exists?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:46 pm
That sounds amazing. Lol Hakavod to the Chicago community!
I've lived here all my life but never encountered such a large scale project.
I imagine that this is too big a project for a larger community. Imagine 2,000 people dropping off items daily and 2,000 people coming by to pick out items daily. And then as other people in the tri-state area hear about it there will be people driving in and 6,000 will arrive daily.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:49 pm
I can tell you about new york. firstly people dont usually keep all of the items you mentioned in one place. (real estate is very expensive) so its usually a gemach for one item or particular type of items grouped together. like a baby bassinet and then some stuff that people need for the newborn stage. see what I mean? I know its hard to understand but people live in small houses that is overcrowded and if they find extra room then they make a gemach for one type of item only. so clothes one , then shoes another one, thats why there are so many gemachs in new york.

I think in new jersey its the same as far as I have seen. you can look up the lakewood one on 'bp weekly magazine'. and the list from last week is very long.

can someone find a list of new york gemachs as I dont live there?

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:52 pm
yes rose amother I echo what she says. it would be a mob scene.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:59 pm
I've been to the Chicago Gemach. It's a very positive experience, and they treat all of their "customers" so respectfully.

It would be a beautiful thing to run in NY or NJ, though obviously the price of renting a warehouse would be very significant. (BTW, Chicago individuals also don't have mansions, this Gemach is unusual in its scale. Most other Gemachs there are also one-item Gemachs.)

I would love if it could also provide employment for the unemployable - as pickup drivers, sorting items, and manning the Gemach.

The mob scene could be curtailed by requiring shoppers to obtain a card from a Rav etc. with designated shopping days, or another method of limiting "customers" on any given day.

The main problem would be funding for the project and finding a capable administrator to run what would be a massive undertaking.

goldrose

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:32 pm
The Chicago Chesed Fund is also different in that the items aren't for borrowing. You take it and keep it. (of course you can bring back when you're done if you want). "Shopping" is by appointment only, so no mob, and restricts people from coming daily and "taking advantage" . And people don't come in droves to drop off items, just whenever they have a bag (or 2 or 3...).

To me it would make more sense for such a thing to be possible in NY area. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

happy mommy6

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:34 am
The chesed fund also has pickups once a month ...so that alleviates a lot of ppl dropping off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries