Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Brothers can't have the same sandek?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:15 am
I just saw it mentioned elsewhere that brothers shouldn't have the same sandek. I have several boys and my father was sandek for all of them, there was no other option. Was this really a big problem? I know, water under the bridge. But it still got me thinking. Mohel never said anything (same one each time. Though he probably wouldn't have remembered that my father was the sandek each time). If I have more boys, will I really have to find someone else? I like honoring my father this way, and would feel sad to have someone not really connected to the baby take this great honor.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:19 am
I don't know the source of this but each of our 5 boys had a different sandak. The exception is if it would be an honor to the child to have that sandak (I.e. A great tzadik) then you can use the same person. Again I don't know the source or if this is something universally kept.)

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:27 am
Sandek is a big sechus so it's nice to give it to different people. Usually one gives it to grandfathers, fathers, father in law, rav of shul or a big rav.

5mom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:46 am
There are no rules here, just accepted practices. Giving sandek to different people keeps anyone from hogging up all the kibbudim.

I think it's wonderful that your father got so much nachas.

rmbg

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 11:00 am
Being sandek is compared to bringing the ketores in the bais hamkidash which was such a great zchus so the kohanim only got once chance.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 7:47 pm
Actually just had this, asked a shaila, was perfectly fine.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 7:49 pm
lol, I was under the impression that it had to be somebody different each time....
we have 6 boys bli ayin hara, it was hard trying to find somebdoy for the last one!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics