Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What is expected cost - website text/editing

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:03 pm
If you're starting a new website for your business and want an editor familiar with your type off business to go over all the text, edit/revise, suggest improvements, etc, how much should that cost?

It would be a pretty basic website - a home page, an "about" page, a contact page, and a page each for several different products and services the business involves. Not sure yet if there will be anything else at this point.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 5:31 pm
I paid $1000 + (might have been $1500 I think?) for banner design and code changes--- I did the wordpress stuff myself. She did no editing though.

Is the website already fully designed, all graphics in place? If just editing I would imagine less than $1000--- if you need design PLUS editing, you're looking at $2000+ I would think. Depends how professional your editor/designer is.... depends on how much text on the page, etc.

Why not show your site to a few diff professionals and get quotes? Us not having seen your website--- we're just guessing, really.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 5:43 pm
Actually, I'm the editor they came to asking for a quote. I don't even know whom to ask! I'm a print publication editor, usually. So are my editing colleagues. No one has a clue.

They have someone else doing the design, but they want a professional working on the text and content. I am familiar with both writing/editing and with the type of products and services the company offers.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:05 pm
I just actually overheard a conversation about this topic. Seems online editing runs similar to print editing, roughly $25-$35 an hour. Though, of course, editing is a freelance business, and freelancers can make their own pricing, so it may vary.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, I'm the editor they came to asking for a quote. I don't even know whom to ask! I'm a print publication editor, usually. So are my editing colleagues. No one has a clue.

They have someone else doing the design, but they want a professional working on the text and content. I am familiar with both writing/editing and with the type of products and services the company offers.

I'm also an editor.
I would charge roughly the same amount that you charge print publications. The work is the same, isn't it?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:24 pm
What if you have no idea how much time it will take because you have never done anything of this nature before?

I'm also not sure what the rate would be for this type of thing in print because it's a different nature than the work I already do. I also suspect I'm underpaid by my print publisher.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:27 pm
Perhaps offer a lower pricing, saying that it will be your first time working on web content. Although the words stay the same, the format is different, and it may take you longer to figure out a method. Because of them giving you the opportunity to learn on the job, you'll give a lower price.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:28 pm
have them pay you a package fee of say, 2 hours or 5 hours or 10 hours---- whatever you guesstimate it will take. If it takes less, you refund. If it's going to take more, you stop at the hours paid and give them a quote for the rest and see if they want to continue and maybe have that quote be discounted since they paid you a package fee upront and you don't have to chase them for payment. Smile

If you can't even guesstimate, I guess just agree on an hourly rate and ask them when to stop and check in...... you don't want to work 100 hours and have them balk at the cost...

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:36 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
have them pay you a package fee of say, 2 hours or 5 hours or 10 hours---- whatever you guesstimate it will take. If it takes less, you refund. If it's going to take more, you stop at the hours paid and give them a quote for the rest and see if they want to continue and maybe have that quote be discounted since they paid you a package fee upront and you don't have to chase them for payment. Smile

If you can't even guesstimate, I guess just agree on an hourly rate and ask them when to stop and check in...... you don't want to work 100 hours and have them balk at the cost...

Wow, very strategic. Thank you for the ideas. I am definitely going to use some of them, if not now then in the future.

I do wish someone knew the market value of this type of job, though, because we're trying to work out an exchange of services and I just want to know what my end is worth.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:53 pm
Bisque, wanna pm me? I have some info for you that might be helpful.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 6:54 pm
I do this kind of work occasionally. An expert in the field can charge approximately $40-50/hour or $100/page. However, this is with background knowledge of web optimization and keyword placement, internal linking, etc. For someone whose previous experience is all print-based, I would expect the same rate that you would for a print job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics