Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anolon or Calphlon?

minnie mouse

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 5:35 pm
I'm buying pots for my dd (engaged). I am so confused by all the different names and styles available. What is the difference between these 2?

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 7:12 pm
They are both anodized aluminum but different brands.

I own a variety of cookware because each kind is useful for different functions.

Anodized aluminum has the advantages of aluminum which means it is highly conductive but because it is anodized, you don't have to worry about cooking different kinds of foods in it.

I own Caphalon which has different grades. Their best is guaranteed for a lifetime.

Anodized is somewhat stick resistant but it also comes with a fully stick resistant surface. Among my most used pies are are five quart sauté pan, three quart sauté pan and a roaster with a rack. The sauté pans were not bought as part of a set and have a nonstick interior. I like these because with sautéing, you don't need the fully clad or cast iron like Le Creuset or Allclad.

For braising, nothing beats Le Creuset. It is a pan that can be passed down as it will last forever. They make different sizes but if you are getting only one, it should be a big braiser.

I like a light stainless steel stockpot for soups or boiling water etc because you don't need the virtues of cast iron and they are light.

In my experience, it's best to figure out what you actually cook and then buy cookware for those needs. I never found a set that had everything I needed and it usually contains stuff I would never use.

Levtov

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 8:52 pm
I bought at Macy's individual pots, as Amarante says. Sets usually include never used items.
I got Belgique 2 qt, 3 qt and 8 qt. stainless steel
calphalon 3 & 5 qt flat sautee pan with small handles
calphalon chicken pan with cover
and calphalon frying pan
I believe these are good choices.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 9:00 pm
The Macy's Belgique line is a very good value for the money especially if you wait for sales and use additional coupons. I got a honking big sauté pan for abut $20. These are not fully clad so get an All Clad or Le Creuset for braising either stove tip or in the oven.

There are pieces that pay to spend on a lot of money on and those which you don't want to scrimp on. If you have the money, gift her with an heirloom quality braising pan.

Fully clad means that the aluminum core runs all the way up the side. This is critical for a pot used for braising which requires steady even heat. Fully clad is not important for a sauté pan which cooks from the bottom. Le Creuset is cast iron which is completely covered with enamel. This provides benefit of cast iron without the pampering necessary for cast iron. Some people swear by cast iron but I never felt it was worth the trouble. It is relatively inexpensive and Lodge has seasoned cast iron.

However with a sauté pan, you still want good heavy quality so yu have even heat. Belgique line, for example, is clad in the bottom and is a nice heavy pan.

Figure out your budget and then figure out how to allocate. Marshals can also be a good place for cookware if you are willing to invest time. In my experience, Target is not that great a place to buy cookware as you can do better shopping carefullyfrom other sources.

minnie mouse

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 10:21 pm
Macy's belgique is no longer sold individual, only in sets. Only the big stock pots, 6 qt and above. I like stainless steel. I find the nonstick interior is difficult to clean and they dont last long.

MomInTraining

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 10:33 pm
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNOLON!!! winnnnnnner winnnnner winnnnner
Im married just a few years and have both brands...
Dont know what set the decsion but I kept anolon for my dairy cooking and calphlon for meat cooking...I WISH I would have done opposit because I do much more meat cooking and my analon pots are dreamy! im literally in love with them and anything I cook in them!
here my live opinion!
my analon pots are kiss worthy!!!! CLEAN LIKE BRAND NEW WITH JUST A SIMPLE DISH DETERGENT AND SPONGE....they always look so apitizing to cook in because pot always easily look new....vs my calphlon...which are nice but dont stay nice unless intense steel wool cleaning occurs every night after supper...my frying pan looks like it went through a war or something...so basically in short: calphalon doesnt clean well and especially if anything gets a drop burnt while cooking...fugggggetaboutit the pot needs a bath in strong chemicals to look clean again!!!!
haha!
I say again, FOR EVERY REASON UNDER THE SUN, ANALON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 11:03 pm
Don't you think you use your Milchig pot MUCH less???? perhaps that is why they are easier to clean???

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 11:19 am
for those of u who like calphalon, which calphalon do u have?

I newlywed-ish I have calphalon and im miserable!

THEY DONT CLEAN!

frying, braising, cooking eggs, pasta, warming up soup, sauteeing vegetables, (all with different calphalon pots) THEY DONT CLEAN

I asked someone who has my set and she said the same thing (she cooks less than me though)

I definitely dont recommend it.

the warranty doesnt help me because theyll only send me a replacement of the exact pot I have

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 11:34 am
another vote for Analon. I don't have the other brand but I love my analon pots.

amazing to cook in, easy to clean. looks new!!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 11:53 am
I got Calphalon when I got married. It was supposed to be the best. HATED it. They never looked clean and nothing special to how they cook. I have All-Clad now and it cooks well and holds up well and is glistening clean.

besty

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:00 pm
I also have calapalon pots for fleishigs uggghhh........its never gets clean no matter what I use to clean it with..........

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:56 pm
besty wrote:
I also have calapalon pots for fleishigs uggghhh........its never gets clean no matter what I use to clean it with..........

which set do u have?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:56 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I got Calphalon when I got married. It was supposed to be the best. HATED it. They never looked clean and nothing special to how they cook. I have All-Clad now and it cooks well and holds up well and is glistening clean.

did u return the calphalon?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
did u return the calphalon?

No, I used it for a few years already when I finally decided I had had enough. Didn't ever occur to me that anyone would take it back after so long.

minnie mouse

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 4:54 pm
I decided on analon tri ply for fleishig. Dont know what to get for milchig. I really dislike my nonstick anodized pots that all local stores are recommending. They are really difficult to clean.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 5:45 pm
Le Creuset weighs a ton and costs a fortune is it worth it. I would spend on it I cook allot and pots can last for years
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics