Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Does lemon water really help?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

bluebird

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:47 am
All it will do is make your water taste nice (assuming you like lemon). If ypu normally drink a high-calorie coffee in the morning with sugar and milk, it will replace those calories and that leads to weight loss. Otherwise, water with a lemon slice in does absolutely nothing for you (including "cleansing", that's what kidneys are for).

Esther23

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:14 pm
I've heard that lemon water is good for you because it alkalines the body. Most people tend to be more acidic and we need to eat more foods to balance us so lemon water will help towards that end. So I'm not so sure about the actual weight loss, more for overall health since disease is more likely to thrive in an acidic environment.

Seas

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:27 pm
I'm not going to enter into a back and forth argument as believers in quackery are usually very sensitive about any skepticism, but I will point out that there's no scientific evidence behind the acid/alkaline claim. Or behind 'cleanses' (what exactly is being cleansed? Is it quantifiable?).

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:36 pm
This is great!!
I have a nice lemon tree. Thx for the inspiration!!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:39 pm
I think beside for whatever minor health benefits it offers, it's a form of self-control, and that breeds more self-control. It's the first thing you eat all morning, meaning you're waiting and holding off on other foods. That's a really good practice. It's also something you're consuming because it's healthy, not because you want it, which is another good habit.

Honestly, it's just a small accent to a healthy lifestyle.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:41 pm
I find that if I start my day with one or two cups of cold water before making coffee or breakfast I have more energy and make better food choices. If lemon makes it more palatable great but I think the reason it helps is because we often wake up dehydrated and caffeinated coffee compounds the issue. Its so easy for our brains to confuse hunger and thirst.

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 1:00 pm
Just drinking water is cleansing in itself.
Lemon is good for cleansing the liver.
I heard that drinking enough water makes your weightloss plan 500x more successful.

joss3

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 1:23 pm
I love lemon water, drink it all the time. In the summer I squeeze half a lemon over ice and add water. In the winter I do it with hot water, and sometimes a drop of honey.
Just try and use a straw to drink, I read the acidity of the lemon can erode tooth enamel or something.

Sparkle

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 2:56 pm
Yes, I was just about to comment about the lemon water not being great for tooth enamel. Make sure to use a straw, and rinse your teeth afterwards (but don't brush).
I am addicted to my morning drink of 1 tbls apple cider vinegar, 1 tbls fresh lemon juice in about 10 oz of water with some maple syrup or raw honey to sweeten it. It's hydrating and energizing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 3:00 pm
Yikes, I've been drinking lemon water for a long time now and didn't know about the tooth-enamel problem. Thanks for mentioning it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 3:10 pm
I tried it for a few weeks. I didn't feel a difference at all. I think water is healthy.

morningsickness

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:42 am
My mother-in-law drinks some lemon water every morning. She is 49 and looks much, much younger. She wears no cosmetics. She thinks that the lemon water helps clean out the system.

A very compotent Family and Children's Dr. in my community recommends it.

Liebs

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:10 am
besty wrote:
it definitely cleanses the body to some extent.......that's what citrus does to you......

And it is a great source of vitamin C!

Do you have to drink it with water (16-24 oz?). I mix it with a drop of water just to get it down....I like my AM water plain.

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:57 am
Well, after reading all answers here it definitely doesnt hurt to try. Will see in a few weeks how im doing and if I will be good abt drinking it. So far its day 2 and Im still drinking it

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:05 am
I drink lemon water all throughout the day. 1-2 slices fresh lemon in 1 L of water (32 oz).
Switch out the lemon slices every time I refill.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:50 am
I think lemon water is just delicious and lemonade is even better lol. But if you think it tastes horrible, don't do it...especially since there are no proven health benefits of drinking lemon water. (Vs consuming lemons in other ways.)

The number one rule of effective dieting and weight loss is NOT to force yourself to eat or drink things if you don't want them. You can get lemon juice in other, more enjoyable ways if you really want it - salad dressing for example.

googly

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:59 am
lemon water... that's a new one. sounds queer.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:11 am
http://familylifegoals.com/lem.....t=HHL

suremom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:31 am
lemon water (freshly squeezed) is good for your body as it alkalizes. it is accepted in both the medical establishment as well as those going more for a natural approach that the body needs to be balanced. conventional-7.4 alternative-7.365 (if I recall correctly). the extent in which ph levels affect your body is where the medical and natural society differ. but everyone agrees that the body must be slightly alkalized.fresh lemon alkalizes. (as well as all greens)
lemon might affect the enamel if its not properly diluted. 1/2 lemon to 16 oz. of water shouldn't affect your teeth. if you are still concerned you can drink it with a straw so it doesn't go directly on your teeth.
reason its best in the morning is because its on an empty stomach so it gets absorbed easily. but it is still good to drink even during the day.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:56 am
http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....line/

Quote:

To function properly, your blood requires healthy acid versus alkaline, or pH, levels. Systems in your body carefully maintain normal blood pH levels, which fall between 7.35 and 7.45, regardless of your diet. While water with lemon juice may alter the pH of your urine, it won't likely influence the overall acidity of your body. Learning more about the tangy beverage and your body's pH system may inspire you to make wise dietary decisions.

On the pH scale, a score of 7 is considered neutral. Anything measuring 6.9 or below is considered an acid, and anything rating 7.1 and above is considered an alkali. While water has a pH of 7, lemons are acidic, measuring at 2 to 3. The popular belief that lemons become alkaline during digestion isn't upheld by science. Under no circumstances can an acidic food alkalize your blood, said Kat Day, a chemist and science blogger in Oxfordshire, England. Because foods are not known to alter the pH of your blood or body, lemons won't acidify you either. Drinking lemon juice with water may increase the acid level of your urine, however, which is a sign that your kidneys are doing their job -- ridding you of excess acid.

Lemon juice may not do much for your pH control, but it can provide other benefits. Its high concentration of vitamin C promotes immune system strength, increasing your body's ability to fight off illness and disease. One ounce of lemon juice provides 23 percent of adults' daily need for vitamin C. Lemon juice also provides a nutritious, low-calorie way to add flavor to your water. Choosing water with a splash of lemon juice instead of a 20-ounce soda saves you up to 18 teaspoons of sugar and 240 calories. Because sugary fare causes your body to excrete excess acid, doing so will also produce less acidic urine.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise