Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I need a raise- how much can I ask for? (long)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 1:37 pm
so im one of those women who has been at her job too long, underpaid, under appreciated, etc

ive gotten a raise once in the 6 yrs working im here , definitely added new responsibilities since I came in...

I get paid yom tov and vacation, no other benefits

ill be honest not all my years have been very productive, but honestly for the price they were paying me I obv got burnt out.

I decided to do something about it ive been working really hard being more productive then I need to be, and readily taking on new projects.

im ready to confidently ask for a raise. I feel(and know) that im a valuable employee. I do my job I know my work

heres the thing - I can ask for a raise but even a few dollars raise (which is significant you can think) will only get me what someone with no experience can get.. I cant jump to a significantly higher number out of nowhere.

I would like to be making $20 an hour at least, with potential for growth if my work is more than satisfactory.
Can I ask for a raise now, for ex $16 an hour and be upfront that I want a raise to $20 in a few months? (I will continue to work to earn that raise and earn my keep)

I know thats not the norm, but its also not the norm not to get a raise ever, and be given more and more responsibilities.

agreer

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 2:08 pm
I would be upfront and honest about your needs. If your employer likes you and values your work, he should give you a raise. After six years of devotion, you deserve it!

Let's pretend you are making $12/hr. You want $20. If I were you, I'd ask for 20 and let them negotiate you down to 16. Don't start asking for 16.

I would also start looking around for other jobs, just to see what your options are. If you have a lot, that should bolster your confidence.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 2:29 pm
Maybe I'd add to what agreer says by letting them talk you to 16 on the condition that next fall, it goes up to 20.

And I agree about looking around. There's nothing like being able to say, "I'd like to keep working with you, but X will pay me $23/hr."

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:29 pm
agreer wrote:
I would be upfront and honest about your needs. If your employer likes you and values your work, he should give you a raise. After six years of devotion, you deserve it!

Let's pretend you are making $12/hr. You want $20. If I were you, I'd ask for 20 and let them negotiate you down to 16. Don't start asking for 16.

I would also start looking around for other jobs, just to see what your options are. If you have a lot, that should bolster your confidence.

so under 16 isnt negotiable for me. I really want $20. I dont want to ask for 20 and be laughed out of there. I would like another raise in 3 months time. then I can breathe.

I looked around.. I am confident that a entry level job can pay $16 without the experience I have, and thats just starting, WITH potential for growth.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:34 pm
imasinger wrote:
Maybe I'd add to what agreer says by letting them talk you to 16 on the condition that next fall, it goes up to 20.

And I agree about looking around. There's nothing like being able to say, "I'd like to keep working with you, but X will pay me $23/hr."

ive been giving myself pep talks so ill confident in what im saying SmileI dont want them to talk me into anything. I want my cards on the table, ill take 16 now, and say in 3 months time get another raise. (understanding that this wont happen every 3 months, but I want the opportunity to get fast tracked to $20 an hour- extra duties projuects etc)

honestly, next fall as in 2017? I feel like im being being underpaid as is, (even at $16 an hour!) I cant wait till next fall! lol

I looked around, entry level with no experience can get $16 with potential for growth, I know the work the system the ups and downs etc

I really want $20 an hour but I cant jump that on them

thanks for responding!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:38 pm
Can I ask which area you work?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:40 pm
Have you looked at what the pay is WITH experience?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:18 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you looked at what the pay is WITH experience?

yes

$20 - $25

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:23 pm
Some employers are just cheap.

My husband was paid $16/hour for years. Finally he left that job. They begged him to come back. He said fine, I want $20/hour. They refused. Still haven't found anyone permanent for the position.

soaraway

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 2:26 am
One tip I learnt when you want a raise, well, when you want anything at all-is to state what you want and leave it at that. Let your employer stumble and try to figure out what to say. Don't go on and on about your value etc. start with your value and say "and so I am asking for a raise to $20." let them respond.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:23 am
I did this and did not get my raise

then finally I said - I'm sorry I can't stay anymore - I know I'm asking a 30% raise but I have not been raised in years and I will get work elsewhere at that price.

They finally agreed when they saw I was serious but said they would be finding someone else for me to train.
It's a year and I'm still working for them

it depends on what you are asking is really the going rate

esther09

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:35 am
I think it's also important to do your research and be able to state that you know market compensation for your position is xyz. If it's 20, use that number. No reason you should be getting paid below market.

real israeli

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:55 am
I don't know where you live. But most Lakewood and Brooklyn office jobs offer around 16 for starting and a raise to 18-20 in 6 months or a year.
Maybe it is worth changing jobs if they won't give it to you

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 2:43 pm
update - what if they say their not in the "position" to raise my position by that much right now..

I dont exactly have another job lined up. but I dont feel its ethically right to start actively looking for another job while im at this one (I enjoy the work) not to mention they'll obviously call my current employer as a reference.

thanks for your help all of u!!

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 2:52 pm
There is nothing wrong with looking for a new job while you have a job. It is rarely a good idea to quit before you have something else lined up.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 2:59 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with looking for a new job while you have a job. It is rarely a good idea to quit before you have something else lined up.

what do I do about references?

also, theyll probably need me to train in new person, what do I do then?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:02 pm
Most companies understand that you don't want your current employer to know you are looking. If you can give the employer right before that should be sufficient.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:06 pm
Do you have any other references?

Can you come across in the Job interview as knowledgeable and experienced in the field you want.

I recently did a job interview and asked questions about the company and what they need that showed I was extremely experienced in the position they were offering. They did not ask for references but gave me two interviews to make sure that I can fill the position well.

I got the job and at the rate per hour I wanted.

I want to add it does not seem likely the company you are working for has the resources to pay you what you deserve. If you need more income you will have to look for a company that can pay you.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have any other references?

Can you come across in the Job interview as knowledgeable and experienced in the field you want.

I recently did a job interview and asked questions about the company and what they need that showed I was extremely experienced in the position they were offering. They did not ask for references but gave me two interviews to make sure that I can fill the position well.

I got the job and at the rate per hour I wanted.

I want to add it does not seem likely the company you are working for has the resources to pay you what you deserve. If you need more income you will have to look for a company that can pay you.

how did u get a interview without a resume?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
how did u get a interview without a resume?

I had a resume but did not have references on it or I would write on my resume references upon request.

In my case I had no issue with giving references but I am not putting other peoples name and telephone number on a resume. If references are needed then I give it.

I did a few interviews, one of them did ask for references but never called but I don't think they were that interested in me because the rate I wanted was higher then they wanted to pay. The place where I ended up getting the job did not ask for references but gave me a few interviews.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics