Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can I borrow an outfit?
Previous  1  2  3

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:47 pm
Did you try macys on line?
Lots of plus size dresses

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:05 am
Greenie, you up for a bit of lateral thinking? I know from experience(!) that after a certain age, middles can thicken up a bit - might it be worth checking out maternity, which will be cut looser in that area? (Whatever you decide, I hope you find something you absolutely love!)

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
Greenie, you up for a bit of lateral thinking? I know from experience(!) that after a certain age, middles can thicken up a bit - might it be worth checking out maternity, which will be cut looser in that area? (Whatever you decide, I hope you find something you absolutely love!)

um I am not pregnant ... and my waist is quite narrow because I have hips & boobage

I don't want to hide my body or I would wear a sack ... funny enough a lot of the dresses either mimic loose tents or high-waisted looking like maternity or ruched gathers ... all of which are very unflattering to my type of body

my hope is for something not fluffy, not tight, not straight, some proper seaming for curves ... not low cut, not sleeveless to add a shirt for it to look like a school jumper, not glittery & gaudy [& itchy], without any ostentatious fluff or revealing low cut cleavage & certainly not black as it's not a funeral

but as time is ticking ... I might just have to wear anything even if I don't look elegant & formal ... as I refuse to spend monies on any of the above grossly over-rated fashions

too bad I'm not a size 14 cause the perfect dress was straight & stretchy & comfy & long and with beautiful lace - simple yet feminine in a shade of teal/turquoise that compliments my face

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:15 pm
An A-line floor length skirt, dressy top with a sparkle or shine and a belt or sash should do it.

If all else fails, a denim skirt!

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:43 pm
Greenie, do you know the brand of that perfect dress? Can you look it up online and find it in the right size?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:46 am
http://www.newadoringdress.com......html

Its expensive and because the top is sheer it needs to be built up -but is this the style you are looking for?

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:22 pm
Iymnok wrote:
An A-line floor length skirt, dressy top with a sparkle or shine and a belt or sash should do it.

If all else fails, a denim skirt!

no to sparkle or shine ... unless they're firecrackers

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:23 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Greenie, do you know the brand of that perfect dress? Can you look it up online and find it in the right size?

I normally do that ... alas I forgot to check ~ grrr

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.newadoringdress.com/fabulous-a-line-half-sleeve-lace-short-dress-p310913.html

Its expensive and because the top is sheer it needs to be built up -but is this the style you are looking for?

thanx ... not too bad but I don't like the gatherings - but more importantly there is no time to await the shipping let alone the fixing ...

maybe I should sew a dress - but my sewing machine is with my daughter in cleveland & I am currently in brooklyn

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:33 pm
here's a good story ... so my sister says hey if you would have lost 15 lbs the dress would fit you - right ...

yes if somebody would pitch in with helping care for mama - I might not have gained an extra 15 lbs on all the carbs, sodas & empty calories people here consume ... and if I would have dieted when I came to brooklyn - I could have lost 15 lbs at first & 15 lbs now ... totaling to 45 lbs less than I was & then YES I would fit into the size 14 dress that I love

that was a vent ~ grrr !!!

p.s. eating healthy vegetarian helps steer away from empty calories

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:59 pm
Start a new thread and name it something like size 18 inexpensive wedding dress so that others can help you search

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 3:19 pm
greenfire wrote:
no to sparkle or shine ... unless they're firecrackers

So skip the disco ball.
If you could find a Mexican dance skirt, and a nice top, it should pass. Floor length and 1.5 circle. Really fun to dance in.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:44 am
I'm not sure of your budget and it misses some of the marks that you were looking for (because it's a straight dress) but I think this dress is cute and fun and different:
http://www.jcpenney.com/london.....xZ1mv

this one hits more marks but is on the short side. it also has a keyhole, which can be plugged with a shell but I know you didn't want to do that. nevertheless, here's the dress:
http://www.jcpenney.com/danny-.....xZ1mv

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 4:24 am
amother wrote:
I'm not sure of your budget and it misses some of the marks that you were looking for (because it's a straight dress) but I think this dress is cute and fun and different:

this one hits more marks but is on the short side. it also has a keyhole, which can be plugged with a shell but I know you didn't want to do that. nevertheless, here's the dress:

I would add a triangle of black fabric to either side of the first dress.
I'd add a wide ribbon to the hem of the second one (I love it, btw) you can pin a piece of the ribbon order the keyhole.
Does a neighbor have a sewing machine?

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 6:45 am
What about getting this made to order and then rush shipping it?
Than you will be guaranteed that it fits perfectly and you can choose a color that you look great in, so even if the fabric isn't gorgeous (its a risk with a chinese website) you will look gorgeous...

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:

don't like the first one - I see black

the second one I hadn't noticed before now ... thanx for the idea

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:13 pm
update: the wedding was a princess-like fairy-tale

I did purchase the purple keyhole dress from jcpenny [to the person who found it THANX Cheers לחיים] put a black lace in the keyhole along with a monogram brooch centered over lace & a maidenform firm control body sleeker from marshall's or tjmaxx ~ both at good price values

and despite everyone thinking my niece [with purple hair] & I would look like a 'clown' ... I wore that dress along with my chucks & new purple laces, my green hair freshly blown out & enjoyed time with my pretty elegant family - comfortable as myself

got many compliments on my uniqueness & how I rock my hair and chucks [& of course my young couple came with their chucks as well]

& just to add FUN to the story ... with all the news commotion over the weekend we didn't follow normal routes to the wedding ... my daughter notices a sign with the song mama kept singing 'send in the clowns' Clown Clown seemed ba'shert

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:51 pm
Mazal tov, and glad to hear you got a dress!

I'd love to see pictures of how you rocked it!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:34 pm
Thanks for the update. Of course it was well-received - it was you who was well-received, it's not always easy to get to long distance simchas.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:48 pm
So glad to hear, Mazel Tov!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics