Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Washington State

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:10 am
Is there an Orthodox community in Washington State? I'm looking into smaller communities, and I have season to be potentially pulled towards Washington......
What's the kosher scene like? Schools? Shuls? Community? Thanks

celesteno

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:32 am
There's a community in Seattle. Or do you mean other than Seattle?

Snickers18

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:27 am
Where in Washington State? I know of big jewish communities and communities that have 4 observant families. What sort of community are you looking for?

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:46 pm
Seattle would definitely be your best bet for an established community there, with shuls, schools, restaurants, mikvah, etc.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:31 pm
I grew up in Seattle, any specific questions? AS of now they have two sephardic minyanim--SBH and EB, a chabad minyan, an ashkanaz minyan that does not currently have a rabbi--BCMH, a kollel, two day schools--one co-ed=SHA and one not=TDS, one co-ed high school=NYHS, and a nusach sephard/chassidish-ish (only the rav is chassidish) minyan. There is also a feminist minyan called ohr chaddash. There is a small bais yaakov girls school. There is a boys chofetz chaim school in Vancouver. Overall the community is modern orthodox or BT, but there are more variations with a presence as well.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:59 pm
You can probably find a religious family in Spokane, Tacoma, Olympia or Vancouver, but outside of Seattle, the only semi-option would be a suburb of Seattle. Obviously, by Seattle I mean Seward Park.

Portland Oregon is also nice, but much smaller.

wiki

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 2:08 pm
Seward Park (Seattle) is the primary Orthodox community in Washington State. There are also decent-sized Orthodox shuls in other areas around Seattle, including the North End (Shaarei Tefilah) and Mercer Island (Shevet Achim), which have Lubavitch rabbis but diverse Orthodox membership. Other than that, there are kiruv outposts (Chabad and Kollel) in West Seattle and the East Side. You might also find Chabad presence in Tacoma and Bellingham.

Pumpkin's facts are mostly correct, but in Seward Park, the large Orthodox shul, BCMH, just hired a new rabbi. (And what is the Chabad minyan in Seward Park? Not sure about that.)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 2:40 pm
wiki wrote:
Seward Park (Seattle) is the primary Orthodox community in Washington State. There are also decent-sized Orthodox shuls in other areas around Seattle, including the North End (Shaarei Tefilah) and Mercer Island (Shevet Achim), which have Lubavitch rabbis but diverse Orthodox membership. Other than that, there are kiruv outposts (Chabad and Kollel) in West Seattle and the East Side. You might also find Chabad presence in Tacoma and Bellingham.

Pumpkin's facts are mostly correct, but in Seward Park, the large Orthodox shul, BCMH, just hired a new rabbi. (And what is the Chabad minyan in Seward Park? Not sure about that.)
I think she meant the North End. Afaik there is no chabad In Seward park.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating