Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Israeli couple singing together on you tube
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:04 pm
My dhs YU Rosh Yeshivah told us that I only have to cover "rov" or most of my hair. I also know many that have no problem listening to recordings, and I've also heard that listening to a woman sing publicly is only a problem if it's an overtly s-xual performance. So op, now you know people do hold differently about different things.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
My dhs YU Rosh Yeshivah told us that I only have to cover "rov" or most of my hair. I also know many that have no problem listening to recordings, and I've also heard that listening to a woman sing publicly is only a problem if it's an overtly s-xual performance. So op, now you know people do hold differently about different things.

Would you be comfortable saying who this Rav is and did he just say this to you because of your own personal circumstances or does he give this psak to everyone?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:50 am
Shani88 wrote:
Yes I've wondered the same thing about this couple regarding kol isha but I just assumed they have a lenient Rav who allows them to post videos as long as they are not singing live.

I also think they are the cutest couple who seem so in love but before you get jealous just remember you don't know what goes on in any marriage behind closed doors. They were blessed with stunningly gorgeous voices that harmonize so well together. Of course watching them sing and smile at each other holding one very content baby will make their marriage look perfect. Do you think they'd post a video of themselves singing while holding a crying baby?

I really hope they have a happy long lasting marriage and can continue to make beautiful videos because I really adore them.

This. They discussed the issue with a rav and he gave them the go-ahead. This was in an article that appeared about 2 weeks ago in the Israeli press. They've been getting alot of coverage here. BTW from the pictures I've seen, her haircovering is very typical of middle of the road DL people.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:37 am
amother wrote:
Water _ bear88, thank you for the explanation, do these women have sources to rely on that covering is only as a sign of marriage? Why do my Rabbi ' s say hair becomes ervah when a woman marries and no more than a tefach should show, and even that is not really favorable. When I asked a huge Talmud chochom about it he said he couldn't find any source that says it's ok to only be partially covered. In other words is it halacha or not and why can there be different interpretations of it? We all know halachos of Shabbos and pretty much agree across the board no matter where we live or who we are. Same as kol isha, if it's halacha then why do we not all regard it the same. I don't believe that this couple would publicly do something they think is wrong, so why do some of us regard this as halacha and some not? I'm so confused. Thank you for the links tichellady, I didn't read them yet, but plan to.

There are pages and pages of sources for different shittot on hair covering.
Your Rav is clearly way more machmir than many other Rabbanim.
Same with Kol Isha - it's not like Hilchot Shabbat (which also have different interpretations)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:03 am
trixx wrote:
I've seen them too but clearly they think they're doing the right thing re kol isha so not my problem.

My bigger curiosity is with niddah (unless they hold similarly and aren't as strict with it as others are), like do they have a system where they save things to post for when she's niddah? But that's pure logistical curiosity and none of my business.

Either way they are kah adorable and seem very much in love and I just enjoy watching their obvious chemistry and friendship. Seeing what looks like an incredible relationship is almost better than the singing.
I have not read the whole thread yet, so maybe someone answered you, but not everyone holds that a woman can not sing in front of her husband in nidda. The end.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:34 am
There are non modern women who do the same, writing kol isha in the title. Here it's not written but it's obviously on the visual. Very puzzled as to why some think a woman couldn't sing around her husband on something that is recorded and sometimes with the baby there too least it be arousing, especially when it's their "job" and a common occurence...

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:23 am
And I would like to know how it's anybody's business how a particular couple handle themselves vis a vis halachos of married life?

At least OP finally came clean and admitted that her concern isn't really the halachic status of this singing duo, but the fact that her dh is admiring a young, pretty woman with a gorgeous voice. This issue is something OP has to discuss with and explain to her dh, and the question is not whether or not it's acceptable halacha-wise for Yonina to be singing on Youtube--which is Yonina's business and no one else's--but how OP's dh's listening with obvious pleasure makes OP feel and what that is doing to their marriage.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:28 am
tigerwife wrote:
Thanks for posting, Greenfire! That was beautiful, I love how they are smiling throughout the whole song.

never heard of her till this thread - merely googled it out of curiousity

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 10:58 am
[quote="zaq"]And I would like to know how it's anybody's business how a particular couple handle themselves vis a vis halachos of married life?

At least OP finally came clean and admitted that her concern isn't really the halachic status of this singing duo, but the fact that her dh is admiring a young, pretty woman with a gorgeous voice. This issue is something OP has to discuss with and explain to her dh, and the question is not whether or not it's acceptable halacha-wise for Yonina to be singing on Youtube--which is Yonina's business and no one else's--but how OP's dh's listening with obvious pleasure makes OP feel and what that is doing to their marriage.[/quote]

To be clear I am mostly confused about the halacha part. My husband part was just an aside as to why I'm bothered that he is watching. I have learned that these things (singing in front of men and covering hair, even though they are separate) are halachic, I have always struggled with these issues and here I see someone doing it freely and that made me wonder where are the halchic sources for this and if this is really regarded as OK by some based on real Torah

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:00 am
And now I am wondering why my quote thing didn't work right Rolling Eyes embarrassed

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:06 am
why are they singing? What is this for?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
Would you be comfortable saying who this Rav is and did he just say this to you because of your own personal circumstances or does he give this psak to everyone?

I hesitate because MO rabbis with lenient views often end up getting bashed on this site and I don't want to enable Lashon hara. But I gathered that this is his general psak.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
why are they singing? What is this for?

Who says it has to be "for" anything? They could be singing for the sheer joy of it. Because friends and family who've heard them sing suggested they share their talent with the rest of the world. Or because they hope that this will eventually lead to a career. Isn't that how Justin Bieber (ugh) got his start, on YouTube?

cm

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:14 pm
Aren't they delightful? I love their videos.

BatZion

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 1:32 pm
They are just so very sweet- I love listening to their videos.

As was pointed out, they did their own research into the issues of Kol Isha- Nina said in the interview that until she got married she never sang in front of a mixed audience but yes, they definitely got halachic permission to do this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions