Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Mayonnaise Brand without Sugar or Starch

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:27 am
I'm cooking for someone who has diabetes. Last time I cooked for her I make homemade mayonnaise but this time I don't have time for that. I'm skipping the extra treat I was hoping to send along but would love to know for next time if there is a brand of mayonnaise that does not have sugar, or starch if possible.
Thanks in advance!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:45 am
thomy mayo. expensive but delicious.
also, kewpie mayo. never tasted that but it seems trendy as well. it also has 1 gram of carbs out of 100 grams per serving. negligible but technically not carb free.

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:56 am
Regular Hellman's mayonnaise. In general, if you don't want sugar added, do not buy any "lite" variety. They add extra sugar to conceal lack of taste .

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 1:22 am
Thanks so much! I have Hellmans and it has sugar. The full fat just doesn't have starch to get bind it together.
http://smartlabel.hellmanns.co.....ients
Where do I purchase Thomy mayonnaise?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 1:32 am
I see that Walmart has Duke's mayonnaise with an OU and no sugar, or starch as I can tell. Has anyone tried it and knows how it tastes? Maybe I can add it to my next online order.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 5:49 am
It shouldn't be there to begin with shock

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 8:57 am
FYI according to hellmans their mayo is ok for a diabetic (if a normal amount of mayo is consumed)

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 8:58 am
Ruchel wrote:
It shouldn't be there to begin with shock

I agree

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:21 pm
Either Whole Foods or Trader Joe has one -- I don't remember which, but I think it was TJ.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:33 pm
Thank you!

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 1:14 pm
How come I don't see sugar on my hellmans label?

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 1:16 pm
I see 0 carb and sugar isn't even listed. My jar says hellmans real mayonnaise.

smss

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 4:46 pm
Trader Joe's has one.

Seas

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 9:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm cooking for someone who has diabetes. Last time I cooked for her I make homemade mayonnaise but this time I don't have time for that. I'm skipping the extra treat I was hoping to send along but would love to know for next time if there is a brand of mayonnaise that does not have sugar, or starch if possible.
Thanks in advance!

Using a stick blender you can make your own in about the same amount of time it took you to write this post and to check the replies.

Prep time 1-2 minutes, blending time Heart0 secs, cleanup time 2-3 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cooked yolk
1 Tbsp white wine or balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Pinch of salt
Good squirt of mustard
Cup of oil

Put all the ingredients in a plastic tub - the one you later keep the mayonnaise in - with oil going in last. Insert the blender all the way down and pulse for about 5-7 seconds, then slowly lift and blend everything in.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 7:24 am
I've heard people rave about Dukes but I've never tried it.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 8:02 am
hellmanns makes organic mayo. I havent seen the ingredients, but next time you venture into organic circle (ave m), you may want to check it out.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 8:07 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks in advance!

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I'm sure that other people have been given other guidelines, but mine are that I should try to limit carbs at any meal to under 35 g.

My Hellemans low fat mayo (green lid) has 2 g of carbs per tablespoon, and less than 1 g of sugar. Unless you're drowning something in mayo, that should be fine. (By way of comparison, broccoli has 4 g carbs per serving, and Brussels sprouts have 5.)

There's no such thing as carb-free mayo, BTW, because eggs have .6 g carbs per egg.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I'm sure that other people have been given other guidelines, but mine are that I should try to limit carbs at any meal to under 35 g.

My Hellemans low fat mayo (green lid) has 2 g of carbs per tablespoon, and less than 1 g of sugar. Unless you're drowning something in mayo, that should be fine. (By way of comparison, broccoli has 4 g carbs per serving, and Brussels sprouts have 5.)

There's no such thing as carb-free mayo, BTW, because eggs have .6 g carbs per egg.
I understand and know that the person I'm cooking for makes calculations with whatever she eats, but I can't make those calculations for her.
If I tell her I'm cooking everything without a drop of added sugar or added starch, then that is what I do. She needs to decide if she can have the extra item I've made with apple or butternut squash (wouldn't send it in the main dishes she's expecting) but I can't add a sprinkle of sugar anywhere or cross contaminate with spoons. I'd rather skip the mayo, as I did this time, and wait to make her something with that once I have something suitable on hand or have time to make my own like I did for her last time.
As someone who has had serious food restrictions, I would not want anyone else to make their own cheshbonos on my behalf if they offered to cook per my restrictions.
I appreciate you posting your experience though Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking