Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Julienne Peeler vs mandolin and reviews please.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 9:08 am
So I'm picking out my chanuka present for this year for me LOL LOL LOL

First I told DH I wanted a Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler like this http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rik.....OLPMW
(My SIL said I should pick up one for her DH to give her as well)

But then then I found this Mandoline that also does julienne http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar.....oduct
It looks like it would be amazing in the kitchen.
But it is double the price but it does much more.

Will the mandolin do the same job as the julienne peeler - can anyone tell me anything else about it? Any opinions on either.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 10:09 am
You go, girl!

I used to have the Borner mandolin thingie and it is amazing. Excellent quality and really convenient. Get it.
I recently bought something similar to the Julienne peeler (I got the Titan set of regular peeler + julienne peeler) and I find that aside from the regular peeler being nice and sharp - it's completely useless.

CatLady

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 10:14 am
I had that exact model of mandoline and it was one of the best kitchen tools I ever had. In fact, I used it so much that I wore it out in three years. The julienne setting on this model is larger than the cuts from a julienne peeler. The mandoline gave me strips that were perfect for stirfrying, and the peeler gave me thin ribbons that are the thickness of angel-hair coleslaw.

My advice: Get both! Cool Cool I'm serious - they each have distinct and valuable functions.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 11:17 am
Thanks. I'd love both, but I'm not sure I'd use it so much to justify.

Karnash

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 12:23 pm
I don't know - I just never got the hang of the mandolin. I bought it because I read that it is one of the ten kitchen essentials - I found it too difficult and clumsy to use - I'm more efficient with a good sharp knife.

I have a julienne peeler - it makes very nice strip for salads, but not thick enough for stir-fries and cooking.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 12:31 pm
so the mandolin is better for stir-fry? That is one of the things I wanted the peeler for. I've never owned or used either?

Any other ideas about what you use them for.

Thanks.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 11:57 am
ChossidMom wrote:
You go, girl!

I used to have the Borner mandolin thingie and it is amazing. Excellent quality and really convenient. Get it.
I recently bought something similar to the Julienne peeler (I got the Titan set of regular peeler + julienne peeler) and I find that aside from the regular peeler being nice and sharp - it's completely useless.

I was just going to buy the Titan because of rave reviews on Amazon, for getting paper thin slices of cucumber to wrap around a salad.

Any other suggestions?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:18 pm
Make sure to buy mandolin gloves and use them each time. Mandolins are very sharp and known to be dangerous.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make sure to buy mandolin gloves and use them each time. Mandolins are very sharp and known to be dangerous.

Youre an expert, ra. If you have one and like it, which do you have?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:54 pm
Mevater wrote:
Youre an expert, ra. If you have one and like it, which do you have?

I don't have one because I don't trust myself. But if I bought one it would be with gloves since I've already seen and heard many stories.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:01 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
You go, girl!

I have a relatively inexpensive Oxo madolin and I love it. I recently got a fancier one that does julienne, waffle cut and more, but haven't tried it out yet. Avoid the julienne peelers though. Truly worthless. I've had two (different brands and price points) and both stunk.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:23 pm
I love, love my julienne peeler! Have it for about six or seven years (have an identical one for Pesach too) and use it all the time. It's by OXO and very sharp and very delicate. (The first one I had was by Progressive and it was worthless.)

sky

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 9:49 pm
I love my julienne peeler. I have one for pesach and the rest of the year and use it all the time.

I borrowed a mandolin from my sister-in-law and didn't like it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen