Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Halloween
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:43 am
amother wrote:
Not to hijack this thread or anything and I guess it's a little late in asking this but for those whose children who attend public/or non Jewish schools (for whatever reason, mine being that my son is a SN child), are they going today?
School says my child can do his own thing when party is going on , and my son is fine with this set up, but I'm still
On the fence of what to do?

Depends on his age and functioning level. If he is past preschool and a smart kid, I would leave him home for sure.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 4:51 pm
BH for france LOL I wouldn't want people ringing by me or having to give or whatever. It's odd.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:29 pm
SweetBlossom wrote:
Sounds like a plan.

What we did was give away the Halloween themed candy and toys to our non-Jewish neighbors together with the non-kosher candy and made shore to have candy for neighbors that came.

The kids had such a great time. I kind of feel funny but I guess its part of living in this world.

I've never heard of trick or treating on a different day. (I grew up with celebrating Halloween) Is this the normal thing in most places?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:34 pm
In our area the trick-or-treating is today. I think that some shopping districts had some halloween events over the weekend - I saw parents with kids in costumes yesterday so I'm assuming that's what they were up to.

We hand out candy until the baby goes to bed. At that point, I put out a sign that says "baby sleeping, please don't knock or ring the bell" and leave a bowl with candy out. I also replenish the candy every half our or so.

I'm always surprised by how late some of the really little ones stay out trick or treating!

ETA: I do think that there is a lot that is nice about the holiday and sometimes wish it weren't x-ian or pagan or whatever it is, so we could celebrate it more too. In our neighborhood everyone comes out and socializes. It's very nice and neighborly - one family near us always has a big pot of soup and serves it to the neighborhood adults as they come by with their kids. When I heard about that, I thought that was such a nice thing to do. It's like an unofficial block party in our neighborhood and it's too bad that we miss out on it as we have a very nice neighborhood and I like getting to know my neighbors better.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:35 pm
In my neck of the woods, all the goblins came out today (10/31), although the more organized parties were over the weekend.

We give out candy. Its a nice thing to do, and the munchkins are the kids of neighbors, and often kids of friends. Our building only allows trick or treating until 8, but it usually peters out well before that. If we're eating dinner, I just put a bowl of candy out in the hall.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:44 pm
I just had a whole group of kids at my door. I was happy to give to them. I hope that it will create good feelings between the Jews and non-Jews in the neighborhood.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:49 pm
Halloween is today in my town. There is a huge parade downtown with all kinds of kids and adults in costume. All of the merchants hand out very good candy. There are a little over 50k people here but things are spread out a bit. Each elementary school hosts a funhouse that is age appropriate, it's put on by the Jr and Sr. HS kids who work all year round on games and activities. (Most outlying towns do the same.) Sat and Sunday (last) were the Halloween activities for HS kids and adults with a huge haunted mansion in our local theater and Sunday was the annual showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The Evangelical Christian churches in town all have their own versions of haunted houses, they depict some pretty graphic scenes of women being tortured by fires for having abortions (usually cow intestines in a bucket) and retribution for sins. They also have something called trunk and treat. Folks park in the church lots and hand out candy to uncostumed children before and after the haunted house performances. Some of the outlying areas are famous for their haunted corn or bale mazes. By and large there is very little trick or treating here on the streets. Its far more community centered. Most of the rural Granges have a costume pot luck dinner with dancing later.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics