Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Boy stabbed Ds with scissors in school wwyd

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:15 pm
Ds came home from school today with a cut on his hand. The cut wasn't too bad but the story he told me shocked me.
He said he was playing cards with a boy in the school hallway. Another boy who wasn't playing with them tried to grab his cards away from him. When ds held onto them the boy ran into his class, brought out a scissors and tried to stab Ds in his face. DS put his hand up to protect himself and thats how his hand got cut. He doesn't know who the boy is, from an older class.
I want to talk to the principle tomorrow and say something like, I'm not bringing my son to school until something is done about this. My question is what? What needs to be done so I can be sure my child is safe in school? Do I insist the child see someone? How do I deal with this?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:18 pm
Sorry title mean to read "boys stabbed Ds with scissors in school "

penguin

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:28 pm
Quote:
I'm not bringing my son to school until something is done about this.
Sounds right to me.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:31 pm
Ugh, how awful.

Your job is to protect your DS.

You tell the school that you need to know what steps they are taking to make that happen.

Please don't start trying to figure out what this other boy should do. You don't know enough. Maybe he already has a therapist and meds, but still does angry, impulsive things.

It's not your problem to have to solve.

I think once you have a clear response that the school will monitor more closely such that your child feels safe at school, you can stop.

That might include limiting card playing in the hallway, btw.

But if they don't provide that response, I'd be worried.

animeme

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:45 pm
It's also pretty standard that something like this would bring some sort of suspension, in school or out. It may not solve the problem on its iwn, but it shows both the boy and your ds that the school takes it seriously.

penguin

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 7:36 pm
BTW OP, you should be able to edit your original post and correct the title!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:38 pm
A stabbing in the face with scissors is very dangerous. You are lucky that he didn't poke your son's eyes out.

First take your son to your local police station. Have the police officer write a description of the stab wound. Have your son describe to the police officer what the boy looked like and what he was wearing. Then ask your son to find out who did it. A stabbing in the face by a scissors is not a joke. Then call the principal and see what his reaction is. If he pretends to care but does nothing, you then should contact a lawyer and threaten to sue the school. Cite the police report as evidence.

We don't know what this other boy is capable of and this is not something you should let slide. My ds was bullied in school repeatedly and I didn't know my rights then. My ds had his head slammed against the wall many times and we pulled him out.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 10:03 pm
Very sensible response Imasinger. Might I add, before someone says"it's not fair to limit card playing in the hallway", I agree. BUT neither is it fair that the mother of the scissors kid has to deal with a child like that on a daily basis. Or that the school has to. Or that your son was attacked. So given that the world IS unfair (or appears that way to us) and we are all in it together, all we can do is try to help each other. So it may be a good suggestions, depending on the circumstances.

The whole thing sounds horrible for all concerned.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 10:19 pm
Unfortunately I'm not surprised at all. My son was bullied really bad physically (emotionally too). The school kicked him out because I was "making them crazy about addressing the issue". Also, the bully was the rich man's son whom the school couldn't control. However, in my sons school, the rebbis left the class alone to get copies or......and that is when most of the bullying happened. Where was the rebbi or teacher when this happened to your son??

I hope the principal of your sons school addresses the problem. I'm sorry your son has to go through this

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 10:43 pm
If it was my son I'd either remove him from the school or see if the perpetrator can be removed. It would be highly stressful, and potentially dangerous, for my son to return to a place where another student could potentially slice his eyeballs next time around.
And living with a perpetrator under one roof, is highly stressful. Being exposed to this sort of threat on a daily basis can lead to severe emotional problems and physical illness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children