Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Microwave Miracles

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 3:21 pm
I dont know about u , but my microwave is my trusty friend whom I rely on for many quick shortcuts....

I use it for potatoes,
I make myself wraps for lunch with it.
I take a wrap, spread pasta sauce, cheese, whatever veg u want, and I microwave for a few min. Its delicious.

anyone else have some micriwave miracles??

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 5:06 pm
We don't much encourage it's use; it's the most expensive power there is.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 5:16 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Not as expensive as my discovery this afternoon - I went out to the freezer we keep out in the shed, only to find it was left on the 'super freeze' setting. since erev Pesach Pale Banging head Pale Pale Silent

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 1:12 am
That's better than my freezer outside in the shed that I found once a teeny bit opened...I think b/c it doesn't work as well in the summer heat, so the seal didn't hold the door closed as well...and something inside leaned on the door....

The only thing that was even cold still was my neighbor's corned beef (she didn't have room in her freezer)...she had corned beef that Shabbos! (It was defrosted, but still cold b/c it was a solid hunk of meat, so didn't spoil...)

Sorry to go off on freezers - I'd like to hear microwave tips too since I have one but didn't grow up with one, so I don't know all the tricks.

chanadownunda

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 1:19 am
I bake fruit in the microwave. it's great for the kids. an apple or pear can take seven minutes or less.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 2:06 am
chanadownunda wrote:
I bake fruit in the microwave. it's great for the kids. an apple or pear can take seven minutes or less.

I like that idea!! thanks!

well, u all know, its the best for quick popcorn of course... but I also melt chocolate in it too when I am in a rush, or am lazy to dirty pots...

I defrost frozen veggies in it, defrost my garlic cubes for dressings in it...

faigie

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:16 am
I buy an entire salmon, and have the guy hock it into steaks. I package each one separately, and freeze it.
when I want some fish, I take out one steak, and put it on a plate covered. I nuke it for 4 minutes on high, and there you have it.
..................remember to cover it with saran wrap. it steams in the package.

happymom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:57 am
I use it for melthing and defrosting things. also reheating soups, and leftovers if we eat those the next day.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:18 am
Defrosting milk when you forgot to take it out of the freezer the night before. Put it in for 10 minutes, shake it up & you have enough defrosted for a bowl of cereal or 2.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:42 am
I've made chicken in it and salmon and other fish. Not usually, but it's a good alternative if you're short on time.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:49 am
Quote:
Defrosting milk when you forgot to take it out of the freezer the night before. Put it in for 10 minutes, shake it up & you have enough defrosted for a bowl of cereal or 2.

We got a milchig microwave for this very purpose. But I realised that my old method of defrosting the milk under warm running water is actually just as quick. (And possibly less expensive)

I defrost chicken or meat in the microwave - you need to cook it straight away then. It is great when last minute guests want to come, or you suddenly want to make meatballs but don't have time for the meat to defrost.

I microwave whole sweet potratoes for a quick kiddie supper. Also break an egg into a plastic dish, add herbs, salt pepper and microwave for a minute. Another easy kid food.

I also cook frozen veggies.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:10 am
raisin, u make eggs in the microwave?
doesnt it come out all spongy?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:30 am
I make microwave eggs in the office, but it smells up the place BAD.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:51 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Only bec. its expensive? How about its not so healthy/safe?
Anyone else here doesn't use it bec. of the health issues? I use mine very rarely, once in a while to defrost something (if I forgot to take it out early enough).
I cant understand how people are soooo careful about healthy baby foods, being natural and all....and yet put baby food in the microwave! Never!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus