Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How did your children adjust?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 11:23 am
We hope to relocate in a few months. To a new state. My kids will lose their friends, schools, all familiarity. Advice? How did your kids adjust? What did you do to make it smoother? I have a 7 yr old girl, a 5 yr old boy, a 3 yr old girl and a baby.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:59 pm
I moved when my son was 4. He took to it very well. I prepared him a lot before we moved. We also live in a neighborhood with lots of children. I would talk to them, help them make friends etc..have a positive attitude and know that each kid will adjust differently and in their own time. You might feel very overwhelmed yourself. The more present and available you can be for them the more you can support them. It took myself on the other hand about two years to adjust! Lots of luck!

bigbird

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 5:34 pm
It's all in your attitude. If you go with a positive, easygoing attitude and with the intention of making it work, they will pick up on it and adjust, probably even quicker than you. We moved countries when kids were 1, 5, 7, 9 and bh they did very well.

But I did make enquiries before we arrived and got the school age kids to meet with at least one or two classmates before they started school so that at least there were a couple of familiar faces when they started. It wasn't a natural thing for me but I forced myself to do it for the kids sake.

Good luck!

littleprincess

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 5:50 pm
We moved when my ds was 8 and dd 4. Ds had a very easy time adjusting. The boys in his new Cheider were ultra friendly. The rabbi made sure that the boys befriend him. He straight away got close to a boy who davens in same shul. They met a few days before ds entered the class
Dd also had an easy time adjusting however after 2 years we switched schools and then she had a hard time.

Now after 3. 5 years I wouldn't think my children were new and strange to the place
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating