Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
APPLESAUCE CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE (Parve)

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:59 pm
This is a slightly healthier version since it has some whole wheat flour and uses oil instead of butter as well as apple sauce. The spices make it more interesting than the regular applesauce cake.

Do follow instructions regarding greasing and flouring the pan well. Also use nonstick and a less elaborate Bundt is probably easier. I have one with a fairly simple design.

Parve depending on what chocolate chips you use.

APPLESAUCE CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE

Excerpt From: Kristin Donnelly - Modern Potluck: Beautiful Food to Share

VEGETARIAN / MAKES 1 BUNDT CAKE

A version of this one-bowl cake has been my absolute favorite since I was a kid. It’s moist and spicy, with just the right amount of chocolate so it’s not overwhelming, and it holds up for days on the counter (if you can resist eating all of it at once). I’ve since updated the recipe a little, dialing back the sugar a bit, adding black pepper and cardamom to the spice blend, and using some whole wheat flour.

UNSALTED BUTTER OR BAKING SPRAY, FOR THE PAN
1½ CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, PLUS MORE FOR DUSTING
1 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1½ CUPS GRANULATED SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
2 TEASPOONS GROUND CINNAMON
1 TEASPOON GROUND CARDAMOM
1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
½ TEASPOON GROUND CLOVES
½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 CUPS UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
1 CUP SAFFLOWER OIL OR COCONUT OIL, OR ½ CUP EACH MELTED BUTTER AND OIL
2 LARGE EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1 (12-OUNCE) BAG SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR, FOR DUSTING

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan or use baking spray with flour. (I mean it! This is the cake’s one challenge—it tends to stick, so the more you grease, the better.)

In a large bowl, whisk the flours with the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cloves, and pepper. Whisk in the applesauce, oil, and eggs. Fold in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely. Sift confectioners’ sugar over the cake, slice, and serve.

POTLUCK PREP. The cake can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.

VEGAN VARIATION. If you want to make this cake egg-free, you can substitute a chia seed gel for the eggs: use 2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds soaked ”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins