Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to seal China closet so silver doesn't tarnish quickly

benny

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:03 pm
I just got a new China closet and there must be air coming in from the seams because my silver is tarnishing really quickly. Has anyone had this issue and is there anything I can do about it?

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:22 pm
There are strips you can put in to reduce tarnishing. You can also store your silver in Ziploc bags.

benny

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:51 pm
It's a furniture piece and my silver is beautifully displayed in there so ziplock bags won't work. Any idea what the strips are called?

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:03 pm
Here's a link to the kind of thing I mean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

You can put them on the shelf, under and around your silver. They're not very noticeable.

Hope this helps!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 10:45 pm
When I got my China closet the store in bp bat I bought it from sent down a repair man to seal the doors basically it looks like a felt piece of thin string and they put it around the whole door frame when the door is opened and on the frame of the closet so when the doors are closed there is no air coming in. It's so easy that you
Can do it yourself.

Did you buy this piece in a regular furniture store because if so you can call them and they should send someone to your house for free.

Also if you add locks to your china closet it seals the door tighter and air shouldn't come In .

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 9:34 am
I got my furniture a long time ago. The furniture store sent their service person to put in a rubber strip (kinda like a gasket on the washing machine or oven) all around right inside the door. This made a great seal, and my silver hardly needs to be polished, except for the pieces likely my candlesticks that sit on the table all shabbos.

I wish I could find it online to show you, but I searched and havent found it yet.

benny

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 10:10 am
I purchased it from a custom furniture place. I complained about the seal when my silver started tarnishing and they wouldn't help me. Said I can try and seal it myself. (They're customer service was top notch otherwise! I guess they just don't deal with this??)

I went to Michaels to try and get something like the felt strips mentioned but had no luck finding. I feel like either of the above suggestions would work well but I can't seem to find the product!

BayMom

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
When I got my China closet the store in bp bat I bought it from sent down a repair man to seal the doors basically it looks like a felt piece of thin string and they put it around the whole door frame when the door is opened and on the frame of the closet so when the doors are closed there is no air coming in. It's so easy that you
Can do it yourself.

Did you buy this piece in a regular furniture store because if so you can call them and they should send someone to your house for free.

Also if you add locks to your china closet it seals the door tighter and air shouldn't come In .
What's the name of the store please?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:37 am
Regal furniture store sends a repair man once to your house for free to do any minor repairs like knicks on chairs bec things do happen during delivery.

I also don't live in Brooklyn but I bought it there and they set up one day and sent their repair guy out to a few homes that needed it.

thanks

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:31 pm
You can have your silver laquered. I did this to my leichter, and keep them out on display.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:03 pm
Lacquering silver ruins the silver and decreases value of silver but it's much easier to take care of.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 9:13 pm
I have a wonderful china closet that is air tight and keeps my silver perfect, but I keep my leichter and silver tray out on a server and was polishing it very frequently. I just had it lacquered and it looks gorgeous. It was very costly ($250 for the pair of large leichter and $200 for the tray) -- I'm not in NY; it's probably cheaper there. It would be very expensive to have to lacquer everything in the china closet, plus it is not recommended for things used for food (like trays, bowls, etc.).

BayMom

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Regal furniture store sends a repair man once to your house for free to do any minor repairs like knicks on chairs bec things do happen during delivery.

I also don't live in Brooklyn but I bought it there and they set up one day and sent their repair guy out to a few homes that needed it.

Thank you.

rachelli18

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:27 pm
I also found my silver tarnishing too quickly, and lacquering is out of my budget. I use a product called scotch guard tarni-shield silver polish from my local grocery. It's more effective than the regular polish cream.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:52 pm
I have the same issue, op.
The doors are not airtight and the silver tarnishes quickly.
I just polished our menorah last week (because it looked more like gold than silver) and I doubt it will still look good by Chanuka 😐.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics