Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which kind of job is well paying??
Previous  1  2  3

thanks

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:36 pm
When choosing a career, the first question is, "what am a good at"?

Are you good with numbers? Are you good with people? Do you understand people's feeling? Are you artistic? Are you passionate about nutrition and health?

There are tests you could take to find out what careers would suit you. (You will make no money if you choose a career that doesn't suit you, and you will be miserable if you choose a field that you do not like.

Once you figure out what you might be good at, you can see where the money is in that field.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:38 pm
Home decorator - I know some women who work without the degree
Party Planner
Sonographer / x-ray tech (it's usually a 1 yr course. there are part time jobs.)
Personal trainer

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:41 pm
Some people who are doing well do it on talent, creativity, or a great idea in the right place at the right time.

That's not going to be the answer for everyone by a long stretch, but I don't think it's true to say "the only way to make money is to spend a lot of time on a degree." A degree does not guarantee a better outcome than other paths. And I am not against degreed professions, I just think people need to think both in and out of the box when exploring options.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:14 pm
cnc wrote:
I would actually say that for a woman in her position CPA makes a lot more sense than the other jobs listed here.

CPA has lots of flexibility- yes there is one crazy season that coincides with pesach but it's still very doable if you plan in advance.

Nursing is lots of schooling for an NP and it's pretty difficult to find flexible jobs.

There are an over abundance of therapists - and if you want to be very flexible with your hours you'll probably have even a lesser chance of getting cases. The pay is not at all that great after taxes and agency cuts.

(It also depends what type of brain she has- some would say OT school is 1000 times harder than accounting !)

My information above is all assuming that the OP lives in the tristate area... if she doesn't , pay and job availability may be different than what I posted .

Two crazy seasons actually, that coincide with both RH/Succos and Pesach and plenty of smaller deadlines throughout the year. But that's after schooling and the CPA exam. Because after getting your full degree, you need about 9 months of intense studying to take your 4 CPA exams and not passing one can make things very complicated and sometimes necessary to start all over.
Well paying part time jobs can sometimes become available to those who have put in the crazy overtime hours for a number of years, have experience and proved themselves (and then move on to the private sector for more P/T positions).
This is a good career to go into when you are young and have time for schooling, CPA exam, and building up your career.
The big 4, who pay $60k as starting salary, require hundreds of hours in unpaid overtime. Not for a mom of a growing family just starting out.
And Sara Schneirer closed their CPA track that they ran last year.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:55 am
Have you considered winning the lottery? That should solve all your problems Wink

Jokes aside, I'm a graphic designer and have a part time job earning $25 an hr. I do a lot of freelancing from home, which I can earn between $200-$1,000 a week (or more). I'm keeping my current job just because I need the steady income. The rest is extra which I can spend or put away.
Think of what you enjoy and take it from there. I don't think you can earn a nice salary just by doing secretarial work.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:11 am
thanks wrote:
When choosing a career, the first question is, "what am a good at"?

Are you good with numbers? Are you good with people? Do you understand people's feeling? Are you artistic? Are you passionate about nutrition and health?

There are tests you could take to find out what careers would suit you. (You will make no money if you choose a career that doesn't suit you, and you will be miserable if you choose a field that you do not like.

Once you figure out what you might be good at, you can see where the money is in that field.

If I am good with ppl, what are my options?
I would actually loveee some kind of brokerage.. I find it very exciting and thrilling.. There's suspense and the element of surprise which gives every day new opportunities. What can I broker?

thanks

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:30 am
amother wrote:
If I am good with ppl, what are my options?
I would actually loveee some kind of brokerage.. I find it very exciting and thrilling.. There's suspense and the element of surprise which gives every day new opportunities. What can I broker?

Social work
sales
real estate agent
many more

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:35 am
Would you have interest in teaching/subbing high school. Per diem, they pay over $35 p/h.

Duno how much they earn- would you enjoy real estate brokerage?

Do you play an instrument and would want to teach it to others?

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:08 am
What about selling Life Insurance? I know a few hemeishe males who do very well at New York Life. You must take a test and get licensed. Once you get established and make sales, you can get residuals from your prior sales annually. The commissions are extremely high as an agent. As a broker, they are even higher.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:28 am
What are your talents/strengths? College etc. may or may not be the answer. I have friends who found ways to make their hobbies into very nice money making businesses. I know organized women who started doing personal organizing for $40 an hour. The ones who got credentialed are making closer to double. It's not guaranteed income, but once you build up a client base you can do really well. Think about what you are good at.

frankie

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 8:14 pm
watergirl wrote:
She wants to work fewer than 6 hours a day. Is that even an option?

It is not. Once you have built your brand, and proven yourself by workings ton and being good at your job for a few years you can go part time. But that usually means you drop to 60% pay for 3 days a week, and you basically stop moving up in the company.

frankie

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 8:17 pm
essie14 wrote:
Right...working very long hours in Manhattan.
Not working from home and not in a position with work/life balance

Exactly my point. Becoming an accountant isn't your ticket to easy money. The money is there, but only if you are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears. Not for 6 hours a day. I work 15 regularly, sometimes 18 or more.

frankie

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
There's one very crazy season (April 15), and two lesser but still difficult seasons, approaching August 15 and again October 15. In the month approaching April 15, many firm require work 6 days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day (leaving early on Friday if religious, but they won't like it much). October 15 is just a tad lower than that.

Every job and industry is different. If you are doing personal taxes from your basement there is only one busy season that's true. But that's also not where the money is. There are deadlines throughout the year for different types of entities and if OP wants to make good money as an accountant, it's not going to be easy hours.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:56 pm
Just thought I'd chime in here. I am a CPA and I work part time approx 28 hours a week. I make $40 an hour (but I get no benefits or paid vacation) I work part of the time from the office (which is local to my home) and part of the time from home. I also travel to clients a few times a month which can be up to two hours away. I live in the nyc area.

My job is really flexible BH, but it is also very intense. The only way I was able to get this arrangement is through negotiation. I also have a few years of experience. That being said it is extremely hard to find a well paying part time accounting job. The people who have these jobs usually started off full time and then negotiated to part time.

If you want a more family friendly job I would recommend bookkeeping over accounting. There are lots of part time bookkeeping jobs and the training is much faster. You won't make over 35 an hour, but you'll still make more than a secretary.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics