Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Online Library?

FASMA

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 11:29 pm
Hi,
Does anyone know of an online library?
I don't live in the US and here libraries don't exist outside of schools. Books are expensive to buy if you read 1 book a week or every other week.
I want a library that has a big repertoire of books, also, it is important that they let people outside the US subscribe

Thank you in advance

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 11:59 pm
I used to use The Gutenberg Project. I don't know if you can access it from Europe. Give it a try.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

FASMA

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 1:05 pm
It looks really good but I'm looking for current books. I don't mind paying a monthly fee as in a library

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 2:28 pm
I use the Brooklyn Public Library's online portal for ebooks. I wonder if there are any ethical issues involved if I shared my library access information with other people. Maybe if it's allowed, that kind of arrangement could work for you.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 3:52 pm
Unfortunately it is unethical to borrow someone's library card, especially where that person is not eligible to belong to that library. As a NYC public library holder, there are a finite number of ecopies available for reading. People can wait weeks and months for a book. Even though the NYPL buys many copies, there are often long waiting lists. If people give out their card to use to others then the legit patrons will have to wait longer for service-not cool.
I'm sorry for you OP.
There are some other non-classics on freelibrary.org. You wont find the new bestsellers, but you might be pleasantly surprised to see some out-of-print/hard to find titles from yesteryear. I was able to find my kids copies of clean books that are out of print now.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 1:42 pm
If you have a family member in the US maybe you can ask to use their card. On your next trip to the US you can sign up for a library card. Mine expires every two years.. I don't go to the US every two years but at least I have it for that time span.

byisrael

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 1:49 pm
You can borrow e-books on amazon...

5*Mom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 2:03 pm
Try openlibrary.org. It's free. It's also hit or miss and they won't have the most recent titles but there's plenty there.

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 4:25 pm
try scribd. It has a free 30 day trial. I think most books are older books, ie not very recently published.

It looks like they might have changed their policy that you can only read 3 "mainstream" books plus one audio book a month, as well as much as you want of all the self published stuff they have.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:31 pm
The brooklyn public library allows out of state or city subscriptions. It costs $50 a year. You need to send them id and I would also make sure their site works overseas.

http://www.bklynlibrary.org/bo.....rials
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room