Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Non cholent, picky eaters shabbos day main?

rneumann

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:24 am
Ok, so we can't be the only people who don't make cholent. I personally don't like it, my husband doesn't have much of an appetite at the day meal, my kids are little and although my kids claim they like cholent, they are so picky(and really young) that more often than not I would be stuck with a full pot of cholent with nothing more than the edges scraped.

ANYWAY

Basically we haven't really been making much lately. Sometimes we'll do shnitzel, but I'm not such a fan of leftover schnitzel as it get soggy... Usually we do cold cuts and salad, but we have nothing hot, and it's starting to irk me...

I'm looking for ways to cook things that we would normally eat at the night meal(ie chicken on the bone, roast, steak, soup etc.) for the day meal. My parents weren't frum("traditional") and warmed everything up during the day meal, so it was a bit of a shock after I became frum and couldn't really warm up anything the way I was used to. So any advice would truley be appreciated!

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:36 am
The soups I like best on the bleach are mushroom barley, split pea, and lentil.

If you drain the schnitzel well, and wrap it in paper towels after it cools, it won't get quite as soggy.

Brisket and steak are delicious cold.

Pareve options like fish, tofu and rice, salads, Chinese veggies with cashews are good, though not as much kid foods. Pasta is good at room temperature, and a lot of kids like it.

Following to see other people's ideas.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:44 am
Any chicken that I make for the say time that may have gravy left in it after it is cooked, I just pour out before I put it into the fridge for the next day. Its not such a big deal. And if a bit of gravy is left inside, its ok. At least that how I learned it.
I make chicken with any types of spices or sauces or/and orange squeezed on top. And so it has the delicious taste, but no gravy.
And no, you are not the only ones who dont eat chulent. We dont either. Never.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:57 am
You can try leaving chicken soup on the blech and see how your family like it. It will be quite strong but good.

I make a simple cholent with meat (lamb is amazing if you can get it), potatoes, onions, garlic, and barley. My kids love the barley and meat.

Ask your rav what you can warm up. I'm chabad and can basically only warm up challah or bread. But I know other people warm up chicken without sauce, schnitzle, kugel etc.

I often do fried gefilta fish patties and other fish.

You could do a pitta and falafel bar. Wraps. Sushi.

My family all love cold cuts. Cold sliced brisket and sliced chicken breast are also great. Try making this bread to go with it. http://www.thebakerchick.com/2.....read/

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:26 am
We never eat cholent. I make baked shnitzel that does not get soggy. We also like skirt steak salad. Broil the skirt steak before Shabbat. Slice when cool. Bring to room temp on Shabbat day and serve over salad.
I also slice up leftover chicken and serve on salad.
In the winter I make soup sometimes in the crock pot.

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:49 am
I never make cholent.
When we are invited out for Shabbat (which is not often) it's a real treat.

I have a warming drawer attached to my oven. It keeps the food hot, but not over cooked.
Also, I put dry items in the drawer on Shabbat, ask your LOR. Mine allows it.

Things I make for Shabbat day.
Chicken and potatoes
Chicken and rice casserole
Cauliflower "yapchik" (my own version, since I never tried it before)
Stuffed veggies with ground meat and rice (onion, eggplant, zucchini)
Stuffed eggplant with chicken pieces
Roast and a veggie "kugel"

If any thing needs a hot sauce, I leave the sauce with extra water in the warming drawer before Shabbat.
For example, if I make a roast, I"ll slice it and leave it dry in the fridge.
I"ll put the sauce in the warming drawer before Shabbat (boil sauce first)
The dry roast I put in the drawer before I go to shul. It's in the Pyrex all ready to serve. Before I serve I pour the hot sauce on top. Also the hot Pyrex keeps everything hot longer.
Same with stuffed veggies and the sauce.
Chicken and potatoes stay all night in the warming drawer
Stuffed eggplant with chicken pieces stays all night with extra water.

I also put the kugels, rice, chicken casserole, "yapchik" in the warming drawer on Shabbat day.

We are Sephardic Syrian, so please ask your LOR before doing this.

I have a friend that is ashkenaz and leaves her food in the oven at 175, and uses her blech for Friday night.

polka dots

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:06 am
I like to leave potato kugel to become overnight kugel for the morning. I like throwing together a big lettuce salad with cold cuts and egg salad next to it (its our minhag) with hot kugel.

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:10 am
This is my favorite recipe
Stuffed eggplant with chicken pieces.
This is for people that like eggplant.

Japanese eggplant 1/2 to a whole for each person
Ground beef
Rice
Seasoning whatever you like, I like salt, garlic, all spice, cinnamon,
Chicken pieces cut in 1/8, we like thighs, 1-2 per person.
All spice
Cinnamon.
Salt

Cut Japanese eggplant in 1/2.
Soak the rice
Using an apple corer hollow out the inside, try not to break the skin
Salt the inside, not too much, and stand them cut side down to drain a bit.
Prepare your filling, ground beef, soaked rice, season, water, mix
Stuff the eggplant.
You can make this and freeze individually, raw. This does take time, so when I make I'll stuff 25 eggplants, which makes 50 portions.

Take your chicken and season with all spice, cinnamon and salt.
Place the chicken and stuffed eggplant (could be frozen) in baking pan, cover, bake at 350 for 1 hour. Chicken should be cooked with no color.
Now you have a choice.
I make this all the night before in a Pyrex, cool and refrigerate until the next day.
Or if you are doing this all in one day, transfer to a Pyrex at this point. Or let your Pyrex cool down all the way.
You"ll be adding water and you don't want the Pyrex to explode.
Only once your Pyrex is completely cold.

Take approximately 2 cups of water. To the water add all spice, cinnamon, and salt. Taste the water to make sure it's seasoned to your liking.

Pour the water on eggplant and chicken.

The water should reach about 3/4 way up the eggplant and chicken.

This I put in the warming drawer.

You can also put it on the blech, on an inverted disposable pan, all night.

I serve this with basmati rice.

Enjoy

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:51 am
You can make a lot of what you're asking about in your crockpot. Thick soups, beef that you can shred up and serve with the sauce, etc.

tichellady

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:55 am
we usually do hot soup in the crockpot in the winter and then grilled chicken or london broil,warmed but not hot.
I have never heard of not warming dry sides like potato kugel, sweet potatoes, etc. we use a hot plate to warm sides

enter

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:04 pm
Never make cholent. We keep the chicken soup on a hot-plate, it becomes stronger, but it's really good. We always have Matzo balls* which helps for taste and satisfaction. Sometimes, I'll make the chicken soup relatively close to Shabbat so that it tastes good friday night, but it tastes even better shabbat day, having been left on the hotplate overnight.

We warm up Kugel (potato, noodle), chicken, and anything else I've made for friday night meal by placing the food not directly onto the hotplate, but above something else (such as a foil container or upside-down pot). It takes longer to warm up that way and does not tend to get as hot, but we're fine with it. Salads stay in the fridge anyways, so it doesn't have this problem, and, dessert always is the best part of the meal anyways Wink

*The recipe for Matzo Balls: 4 eggs, 1/2 cup matzo-meal or breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Place in fridge, than roll into balls and best cooked directly into soup. Make sure the soup is boiling before placing in. May need additional matzo-meal / breadcrumbs so add as necessary.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:40 pm
tichellady wrote:
we usually do hot soup in the crockpot in the winter and then grilled chicken or london broil,warmed but not hot.
I have never heard of not warming dry sides like potato kugel, sweet potatoes, etc. we use a hot plate to warm sides

That's what I was told. But I think chabad is extra strict on this. Also, even if I could, some of the suggestions here sound downright unsafe. Partially warming up chicken is extremely dangerous. I recall reading once that in old age homes in Isreal they do not allow food heated up on shabbos for food safety reasons.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:17 pm
I have done potato kugel in the crockpot. There is a recipe in the Bais Yaakov Cookbook which is really good.

I only bake my shnitzel. Sometimes I will coat it in BBQ corn chips for a change in pace. It's not as good as the day it was made, but it is still yummy.

Mock yerushalmi kugel is good.

The warm food doesn't need to be the main. I often will do a kugel which I warm up, and then make a turkey or chicken salad.

Not sure what the Halacha is regarding warming up a deli roll, but that's an idea (albeit an unhealthy one).

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:01 am
Raisin wrote:
That's what I was told. But I think chabad is extra strict on this. Also, even if I could, some of the suggestions here sound downright unsafe. Partially warming up chicken is extremely dangerous. I recall reading once that in old age homes in Isreal they do not allow food heated up on shabbos for food safety reasons.

What's wrong with heating up fully cooked chicken?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:23 am
Short grain brown rice in the crockpot is really good. So is barley. Serve it with cold cuts or homemade slices of pastrami roast, warmed on top of the crock.

rneumann

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 3:51 am
Thank you for all the great ideas! I LOVE the chicken soup idea(it happens to be one of my comfort foods...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus