Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Small Appliance Gift

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:21 am
Someone offered to buy me a gift of something I don't need need but would enjoy. I was thinking of asking for an ice cream maker or waffle iron. Anyone recommend one or the other or something else? What do you think would get the most use? I'm in Israel if it makes a difference. Thanks!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:32 am
Waffle makers are so much fun! Smile

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:39 am
Do you have a specific company/model in Israel to recommend? There seems to be quite a variety.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:46 am
Do you have an immersion blender. I find mine super handy to make soups, sauces because I don't have to transfer to a blender. Mine came with a beaker so I can make a great smoothie right in the beaker. Mine also came with a whip attachment so I can beat egg whites. This is handy because you can't beat egg whites unless you carefully wash items to remove any fat so I have a clean whip just for egg whites.

I also love my mini Cuisinart processor. I have the big one but this one stays in the counter and is so handy for chopping or blending small amounts.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:50 am
Instead of an appliance that can do one thing only, maybe a panini press which also grills. I have seen ines that can also make waffles.

Do you think you would make ice cream a lot. I had a maker because I though I would make frozen yogurt but I used it once and eventually gave it away. I never had a waffle maker but my mother did and I don't think she used it once a year.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:56 am
Yes, I have an immersion blender, but thanks it was a good suggestion. I am really into making ice cream, but usually parve so it doesn't need the ice cream maker. So I'm not sure if I'd use it more than for Shavuous and a couple of times in the summer. A waffle maker I never had, but I could see taking it out and making the kids waffles every couple of weeks if they like them. Think the novelty will wear off too fast?

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:00 am
Are you the kind of person who makes pancakes because making waffles is pretty much the same. You can simplify by making batter ahead of time or you can make a dry mix and then only have to add liquids.

You can also freeze waffles.

The problem with waffle makers is they make a limited amounts amount at a time so the cook is making a steady stream. Reminds me of when ,y mother would fry latkes and each batch would be eaten immediately so she would be cooking the Katie's while everyone else was eating. Lol

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:05 am
I make pancakes every once in a while. I thought the wafflemaker would be better because you don't have to babysit and flip. You put it in, take it out when done, and put in more batter. So you do just 1 at a time, but don't need to be as involved. But I think that's just if it's a good one and I'm looking at the cheapest ones, so that makes me a bit worried. Not sure it's worth it...

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I make pancakes every once in a while. I thought the wafflemaker would be better because you don't have to babysit and flip. You put it in, take it out when done, and put in more batter. So you do just 1 at a time, but don't need to be as involved. But I think that's just if it's a good one and I'm looking at the cheapest ones, so that makes me a bit worried. Not sure it's worth it...

I guess read the reviews because you want one with an even heating element so the waffles are done when it beeps.

I love the frozen Belgian waffles a lot. I serve for breakfast with cut fruit and yogurt.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:11 am
This is an off the wall suggestion but I love my Mr. coffee ice tea maker. I use it to make all kinds of ice teas. It's so imple because you fill the pitcher with ice to a certain line, put in teabags of your choice and then put water. The water is heated and then brews the tea and pours over the ice and everything is perfectly proportioned.

I bough an extra pitcher so I always have an herbal non caff and then a strongly flavored regular one. I am fond of Earl Gray ice tea and also the Bigelow Mint and constant comment. It gets pricey to buy bottled ice tea and I know I can just make by boiling water but my proportions were never right.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
Yes, I have an immersion blender, but thanks it was a good suggestion. I am really into making ice cream, but usually parve so it doesn't need the ice cream maker. So I'm not sure if I'd use it more than for Shavuous and a couple of times in the summer. A waffle maker I never had, but I could see taking it out and making the kids waffles every couple of weeks if they like them. Think the novelty will wear off too fast?

I don't know about Israel, but my waffle maker has removable plates so it can be used for grilled sandwiches. And my college-dorming son has also figured out how to make eggs in it. We use ours on a semi-regular basis.

The other appliance I'd recommend (and I know you didn't ask for ideas) is an Instant Pot. Again, if they have them in Israel. Its a pressure cooker/rice cooker/crockpot. And more! I have a stovetop pressure cooker, but this is much easier. And I use it at least once a week, for soups if nothing else.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:20 am
Hmm we're not real big on coffee/tea around here, but thanks (again Smile). What about a dehydrator? I was just browsing through the small kitchen appliances of some site, and that looked kind of cool. We're really into fruit. But do you (or anyone) know if it's really useful for many fruits, or only things like pineapple that people tend to buy dried? Like would it be good for apples/oranges? Oh but bananas and kiwis would be good, right? That would be exciting! And is that how people make potaro/sweet potato chips? I'm thinking that might actually be most used here.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:50 am
You would have to read the reviews. I was considering a dehydrator but it appears you need to spend at least $60 to get one that works well.

Fruit works well. There are all kinds of recipes. And of course most people use for jerky.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:43 am
A spiralizer?

lora

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:11 pm
a smoothy maker? I love it cause multi purposed, can make razzle, fruit blends milk shakes and whatever else you can come up with.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:39 pm
I have a waffle maker (a cheap one I bought at shufersal). Also comes with plates for other shapes. And even though we have an Israeli "toast" machine (like a sandwich press) I'd be lying if I said we don't sometimes make "waffle grilled cheese" using the waffle plates.

I love it. Quick and easy, plus you can freeze waffles for an even quicker breakfast at a later date. I have an ice cream bowl for my Kitchenaid and I hardly ever use it. But the waffle maker gets used regularly.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 2:41 am
Teomima wrote:
I have a waffle maker (a cheap one I bought at shufersal). Also comes with plates for other shapes. And even though we have an Israeli "toast" machine (like a sandwich press) I'd be lying if I said we don't sometimes make "waffle grilled cheese" using the waffle plates.

I love it. Quick and easy, plus you can freeze waffles for an even quicker breakfast at a later date. I have an ice cream bowl for my Kitchenaid and I hardly ever use it. But the waffle maker gets used regularly.

If the cheap ones work well, I think that's what I'd get the most out of. I see the ones that have sandwichmaker and grill plates, too. I kind of wish I could use the waffle and sandwich plates for milchig and the grill plates for fleishig, but that seems really sketchy, no? The ones with the doughnut plates don't seem quite as useful. Which other plates does yours have? Do you use them, too?

Teomima

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
If the cheap ones work well, I think that's what I'd get the most out of. I see the ones that have sandwichmaker and grill plates, too. I kind of wish I could use the waffle and sandwich plates for milchig and the grill plates for fleishig, but that seems really sketchy, no? The ones with the doughnut plates don't seem quite as useful. Which other plates does yours have? Do you use them, too?

The one I got is the Pilot machine currently on sale at Shufersal (you can see it on the website) for just under 85, so nice and cheap. It came with at least one other set of plates like round muffin balls or something, but I've misplaced them so I'm not sure what it came with. I only use the waffle ones.

It wouldn't really work for dairy and fleishig, because it all leaks on the plastic. But it's so cheap compared to other waffle machines, and you can find Israeli style toast sandwich machines for even less, which I don't see why you couldn't use those as a George Forman style meat grill.

moonstone

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 9:12 am
It's easy enough to buy ice cream, I'd go for the waffle maker. I'd actually prefer a bread machine, but those are much more expensive.

sky

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 9:30 am
We have a waffle maker. While the novelty does wear off - its still fun to pull out for breakfast, desserts, melava malka, parties, etc.

I also really enjoy my panini maker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics