Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ask for Raise Advice

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:14 pm
I work in a large company in the US in a professional field.

I typically get 3%-5% raise per year based on my yearly review (which is normally excellent).

The last time I asked for a large raise was about 5 years ago. I'd like to ask for another but have the following concerns and am curious about opinions:
- We've had a lot of turnover over the past few years and while I know my work is good and my performance is seen as excellent my managers don't know me well.
- I work remotely. I'm the only employee in our department that gets that. I also work less hours (my salary is adjusted for that) and have some flex time. But I'm very available and get my work done well and on time.
- I'm the only female on the team with a family, maternity leave, etc.
- My salary is pretty average with national standards. If I was working in the office I'd for sure have 'Sr.' tacked onto my title and a higher salary but because I'm not I'm guessing that is why it isn't.

I'm wondring if I should just be happy with what I have and not rock the boat or if I should try my luck and ask (that I know how to do).

justforfun87

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:38 pm
There is a lot of turn over. Clearly you have made the cut and they appreciate your service, hopefully. What is the harm in asking? You may get a no but you definitely won't get a yes without asking.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:48 pm
This is a tough one.

If your salary is truly in line with industry standards based on your experience and responsibilities, I'm not sure what argument you would make for a significant raise. The fact that you're getting annual raises means you are getting some compensation for added experience, inflation, etc.

However, you do bring up a good point about whether you would have advanced further if you weren't working remotely, etc. It's often more difficult for remote employees to demonstrate their value to the company. Part of that is the fault of their managers -- out of sight, out of mind; and part is the result of simply not being present to contribute to informal discussions and consultations.

I would start by asking what your real goal is. Do you simply want to earn more money? Do you feel generally unappreciated? Are you bored with the work? Do you feel overlooked when it comes to career-enhancing opportunities?

Once you figure out your goal, it will be easier to plot a course. If your goal is more money, you may have to look for another job and allow your current employer the chance to pay you what another company would. If your goal is to get better opportunities, you will need to talk to your managers about how you can be considered for future projects and what role your remote work plays in that.

If your salary is not wildly out of whack with what you would earn elsewhere, it may be that your real dissatisfaction is with the job, not the salary.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 11:37 am
Thank you for taking the time to read.

(I feel my salary is more in line with 5 years experience, rather than 12. )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics