Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you have long nails? Are they fake?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:56 pm
A lot of times see frum women with longer nails, like 1/4 inch past the finger tip. I always wonder how they do that (as I would like to try it), but we end up cutting our nails down almost once a month by the mikva. It cant be that they are all on BC or are pregnant.
Are they using fake nails? But all fake nails I see are much longer and are tacky and I dont think you can put nail polish on them.
I'm embarrassed to ask in person, as I may put someone in a uncomfortable answer.

Any ideas?

juggling

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:59 pm
There are those who hold you don't have to cut your nails, if they are neatly done.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:09 pm
Juggling is right, not everyone holds that nails must be cut to the quick. Also, some people have nails that grow very quickly.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:14 pm
My nails grow super fast and are hard as 'nails'. If I don't cut twice a week it looks bad.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:17 pm
they grow. I don't know anyone whose nails stay short if they only cut them once a month.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:22 pm
I actually learned on Imamother that people cut their nails to the quick every month... I don't.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:26 pm
Nailbeds vary in size. Mine are so low that I don't think I've ever had them past my fingertips without looking awful (they'd have to be half 'white'). Maybe you are noticing those that are higher.

bestwife4

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:10 pm
Maybe they have tips. I usually do tips, the nail salon adds a peice and coats it . It looks totally natural like your real nails and in reality it's just a added nail!!!
It lasts like for 2 weeks.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:14 pm
Mine grow long, strong and fast. I typically trim them down every other month or when I have a problem of bread dough getting stuck under them:)

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:20 pm
Same here. In fact, I can tell the general state of my health by my nails. If I'm not healthy, they start crumbling along the top. Otherwise, they'll grow until I get fed up and trim them.

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 3:29 am
I have very healthy nails that grow quickly. I also have nice nail beds. I cut them for mikvah and in less than a week they are way past my fingertips.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 4:39 am
amother wrote:
A lot of times see frum women with longer nails, like 1/4 inch past the finger tip. I always wonder how they do that (as I would like to try it), but we end up cutting our nails down almost once a month by the mikva. It cant be that they are all on BC or are pregnant.
Are they using fake nails? But all fake nails I see are much longer and are tacky and I dont think you can put nail polish on them.
I'm embarrassed to ask in person, as I may put someone in a uncomfortable answer.

Any ideas?
OP, wait, if you cut your nails once a month, they arent long? Im sure they are.
I cut my nails every week to 10 days as I dont like them long. But thats just me.

As others have said, there are shitot that allow women to not have to cut their nails to go to the mikvah.
There are even shitot that say that if a woman has those nails that are glued on they dont have to remove them either.

Volunteer

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:26 am
Some rabbis ruled that you don't have to cut your nails so short if you clean them well. Also if your nail polish is not chipped you can keep it on for mikva. Remember the general rule: if it covers a minority of your body, and you want it there, it's not a hatzitzah. My nails are naturally quite thick and tough, so they barely break, and never crumble.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:41 am
My nails grow super fast and I have long nail beds to begin with. I cut my nails every Friday but by Wednesday they start to get annoying.
If I let them grow for two weeks, which I've done when I needed a nice mani for a simcha etc., they look super long.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:03 pm
I only sometimes have long nails. I nurse clean for over a year, so that plus pregnancy makes for very few mikvah visits.

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:09 pm
I have short nail beds and my nails are too long after 3 weeks. I keep them polished and manicured with gel over my own nails. The gel doesn't chip, and I am very active with my hands.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:59 pm
There are so many different ways to get long nails I'm sure not all the women you refer to have the same way. One is having long cycles like I do. I go to the mikvah once in 6 or 7 weeks--plenty of time for my nails to grow. Then there are those on birth control or pregnant. Or those that don't hold you have to cut them that short. Or those that have fake nails--that you absolutely can polish otherwise they'd look ridiculous--they are made to polish. I'm sure there are other ways women can have long nails too that I'm not thinking about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics