Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tell me about healthcare administration

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 12:26 pm
I'm interested in the field but it seems very convoluted to get licensed in New York. I have a masters degree, but neither my BA nor my MA is related to anything regarding healthcare, so it looks like I'd need to take some courses, but don't need a new degree. Also, it seems that to be considered for licensure, I'd have to do some sort of internship for a year? Are these internships paid? How do you find them? Is it realistic to pursue this as part of a career change, or am I better off finding something closer to my original field?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:16 pm
Bump

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:35 pm
what type of liscensure are you talking about?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:54 pm
I don't even know. I just know you need a license to do this kind of work and you can't even sit the exam until you've had an internship for a year. And I don't jave the right kind of degree, though apparently I can just take a few courses and don't need a new degree. I'm trying to figure out if this is worth pursuing. I really want to change careers but don't want to get another degree or spend yearsjust to qualify for something new.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:18 pm
I don't know anyone in healthcare administration in the US with any specific liscence in healthcare administration . some people have mbas or masters in healthcare admin, or mph or mds, some people were nurses, many have college degrees and some don't have college degrees. I have no idea what exam you are talking about.
healthcare admin is very broad, there are people who run hospitals,nursing homes, dialysis centers. there are people who work for health plans or do medical billing or manage a private practice or work with hospitalist groups. there are project managers and people who train physicians and nurses in all sorts of things and people who manage HIPAA compliance. there are people who make tons of money being the president of a hospital and people who make minimum wage scanning face sheets

debsey

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:40 pm
I''m in a related field. I don't think there's a specific license. Many licenses can prepare you. A dual MBA/MPH, a JD and MPH, a JD with a concentration on healthcare compliance law. Many people in these positions have healthcare related licenses - nurse practitioner, PA, MD and then took prerequisite courses.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:03 pm
I am a project manager for a private practice. I have a BA. I am good at getting things done, researching things and communicating with doctors, nurses and medical assistants. I don't think having a related degree would have helped me.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:23 pm
I was told I needed this to work in a nursing home or hospital: https://www.health.ny.gov/prof.....s.htm

Is that true? Or are there other ways in?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:04 pm
I am a PA and know a few people in healthcare administration. That all have have masters or Ph.D. In public health.
I would say that it really depends on here you work. If your goal is to work in a private practice /clinic then you would not need a medical background and a few courses would suffice. However, if your goal is to work in a hospital you would need to get another masters degree or Ph.D. In the field.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
I am a project manager for a private practice. I have a BA. I am good at getting things done, researching things and communicating with doctors, nurses and medical assistants. I don't think having a related degree would have helped me.
Another amother here.
What's your degree in?
Can you explain some more what your job entails? What can a couple of days of work look like?
Thanks. This sounds interesting to me.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
Another amother here.
What's your degree in?
Can you explain some more what your job entails? What can a couple of days of work look like?

Different amother, I work in a hospital, no license but yes masters. Just so you know, in hospitals, while there are many religious doctors and nurses, there are very few religious people in administration, if any in a given hospital. And I live in NYC and have worked in various NYC hospitals. Doesn't make a difference to me but in case it does to you. It might be the hours that's a deterrent? Like for example in some roles you're required to be on call in case of a major event (hurricane, blizzard etc to help with logistics) and shabbos presents a major issue bc you're not like a doctor.

You may be interested in starting off as an office assistant/office manager in a practice/doctors office, if you don't want to get a degree. Hours might be better for that too. If you have a bachelors in something quantitative, hospitals will hire financial analysts or project coordinators with bachelors.

What about the field appeals to you?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Different amother, I work in a hospital, no license but yes masters. Just so you know, in hospitals, while there are many religious doctors and nurses, there are very few religious people in administration, if any in a given hospital. And I live in NYC and have worked in various NYC hospitals. Doesn't make a difference to me but in case it does to you. It might be the hours that's a deterrent? Like for example in some roles you're required to be on call in case of a major event (hurricane, blizzard etc to help with logistics) and shabbos presents a major issue bc you're not like a doctor.

You may be interested in starting off as an office assistant/office manager in a practice/doctors office, if you don't want to get a degree. Hours might be better for that too. If you have a bachelors in something quantitative, hospitals will hire financial analysts or project coordinators with bachelors.

What about the field appeals to you?

I'm the OP. I am looking for intellectually stimulating work. I like the idea of project coordination (I've applied to such jobs in non profits that aren't hospitals, to no avail and thought maybe I have a shot at such jobs in healthcare). My bachelors is in Communications and my masters is in English lit, so really not related to anything at all.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:59 pm
OP, are you talking about nursing home administration? In that case, you'll need a license (to become an LNHA, licensed nursing home administrator), which requires a licensing exam following an internship of sorts (I don't know about NY requirements, but in my state it's just under a year).

My husband is an LNHA. It's difficult to break into the field in many locations; there's only one administrator per facility and there aren't as many facilities as there are LNHAs. There is room for advancement if you're ambitious and good at what you do (and, frankly, have the right connections).

It can be a very stressful, 24/7 job, and I wouldn't recommend it if you have young children at home.

cm

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:24 pm
With a degree in communications, you might be able to start in a medical center public relations department, and learn the business.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
Another amother here.
What's your degree in?

my degree is in a liberal arts field, not directly related to health. I don't mind telling you about the job but honestly this probably isn't the type of job you just find. it requires connections or some real experience. I am related to one of the doctors in the group so that's ultimately how I got the job. I also started part time/hourly so they could see if they liked me before they hired me full time. I supplement what the office manager does. I am I charge of keeping up to date in hipaa compliance, new laws pertaining to doctors, meaningful use and macra (you can google those terms). I deal with day to day issues that arise for the doctors and I do a little bit of administrative stuff. I attend meetings with the physicians and make sure they get the stuff on their to do list done. I have to be pushy sometimes. I also have to spend time researching things on my own, because a lot of medicare stuff is super unclear and confusing. hope this helps

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 10:38 pm
Op here. I do have connections, my father is a doctor and it was his idea to look into this (he has no idea of the requirements, just thought it would fit with my skills and that I'd like it). Yes, my initial thought LNHA, though I'd go for hospital too. Are there other departments to look into within the healthcare field? Amother babyblue, maybe we could talk over email?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics