Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby whisperer scheduling help. Thanks!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:27 am
I've been trying to implement Baby Whisperer routines but am having trouble finding a framework that works for my schedule.

I've already moved my 5+ month baby to around a 4 hour feeding schedule (around the clock, no long night time stretch yet), but we are having trouble getting longer naps in.
BW suggested routine is 7,11,3,7 (obviously, all approximate times based on baby's needs) but my baby gets tired much earlier and we need a 6:15/30 bedtime so 3 is way too early for the last day time feeding, but 7 is too late. Also, 7 am is when I need to get other kids ready for school, so that doesn't work as a morning schedule. Ideally, I'd be doing a 6ish, 10ish, 2ish, and then probably just shy of 6 pm, but, I drop off at daycare at about 8:30 and my baby does not transfer well at all - so I can't figure out how to get a normal morning nap in. If we don't get a normal morning nap, then all the other feedings end up being earlier, and too close to nap time which leads to problems all day.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

rgr

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:29 am
You can try posting in the baby whisperer forums
http://www.babywhispererforums.com

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 9:49 am
Thanks. I know. But I've seen some Baby Whisperer mavens here who may be able to help.

cinnabuns

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:27 am
Don't make yourself nuts to make it exact Smile she writes in her book, sometimes it's eaeasy, not just easy.

If it works to do a 'dream feed' at 6 and have her sleep again, that's OK too. The whole point is that the baby shouldn't rely on food to go to sleep..

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:45 am
and please feed your baby if h/she seems hungry before the "allowed time"!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:52 am
Maybe I need to rephrase the question that I have. forget about baby whisperer.

My baby generally eats every 4 hours. (Yes, if he is hungry earlier, I feed him earlier, but he eats and sleeps better on a 4 hour schedule)

What sort of 4 hour schedule can I put him on with these pieces in place:
1 - bedtime is at around 6:15/6:30 (because that is when he is tired)
2 - I drop off at daycare at around 8:30 and because he does not transfer well, that can't be part of his scheduled naptime
3 - He does need a lot of sleep and is generally happier if his playtime is after his feeding and he sleeps until it is close to his next feeding

No, I'm not looking for a to the minute schedule, and obviously, with children there will always be variables in play, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to best structure his day so he can be happy by eating and sleeping well.

Thank you

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 12:04 pm
I loved the baby whisperer!
but I never followed her times exactly at all
instead I just was always aware and constantly thought about E.A.S.Y
no matter what the hours were
I would always asses the situation based on that, if baby is crying, and he ate 1/2 hour ago, and has been sitting in the bouncy for 20 minutes, thats a cue hes tired.

I found the 'timings' too stressful.

also as they get older, the timings change, but the overall EASY mindset doesn't .

cinnabuns

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 12:55 pm
Would you be willing to have him sleep in the car/stroller? If it's consistent, you could have him start his nap at 8 ish and do errands while he's napping.. I got a portable sound machine and put it in the stroller so my baby slept deeply while I walked around. It was part of her scheduled naps.
And then when you get home, keep him in the stroller/car seat until he wakes up..

rgr

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I need to rephrase the question that I have. forget about baby whisperer.

My baby generally eats every 4 hours. (Yes, if he is hungry earlier, I feed him earlier, but he eats and sleeps better on a 4 hour schedule)

What sort of 4 hour schedule can I put him on with these pieces in place:
1 - bedtime is at around 6:15/6:30 (because that is when he is tired)
2 - I drop off at daycare at around 8:30 and because he does not transfer well, that can't be part of his scheduled naptime
3 - He does need a lot of sleep and is generally happier if his playtime is after his feeding and he sleeps until it is close to his next feeding

No, I'm not looking for a to the minute schedule, and obviously, with children there will always be variables in play, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to best structure his day so he can be happy by eating and sleeping well.
Thank you

How long is he by the babysitter? Can he start his nap there?
If bedtime is 630, he can wake 630, eat, and then play til he's at the babysitter at 830 and go straight to sleep. 2 hours awake and 2 asleep for the 4 hour easy.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:43 pm
Every 4 hours is a way too long for a 5 month old baby. Babies should be fed at least every three hours and the most ideal for them emotionally and even medically is to be demand fed. Thats why I totally dont understand the whole premise to the Baby Whisperer ...hatzlacha and hope you figure out your schedule. Smile

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:05 pm
Babies should be fed on demand.

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:21 pm
Delete duplicate

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:31 pm
I'm wondering if those who say babies should be fed on demand have only one child.

When there are carpools and bus stops and dinner times, I can't imagine waiting around wondering when baby will be hungry.

Learned from experience that babies can be taught to be on a schedule and happy moms have happy babies.

*former on demand feeder

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:48 pm
I demand feed my babies and BH have a whole bunch of little ones. Its definitely the ideal...there is so much research done but like you said a happy mom is important too! Whether you are scheduling or demand feeding 4 hours in between feedings is waay too long.....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 5:48 pm
I actually used to think four hours was way too long also until I tried it (on my bh healthy and growing baby). He eats a full feeding, burps nicely, and sleeps well afterwards. Totally worth it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics