Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Weight consult necessary?

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 7:55 pm
Would you make a special appointment with the pediatrician if you're concerned about your child being overweight? Child was seen around the time of his birthday and doctor mentioned he's a bit chubby but nothing to be alarmed about, just make sure he eats healthy and exercises, which I do. His birthday is in September, so barring illness, that will be the next time he gets checked. He really seems to be growing in girth more than in height. He weighs the same as his older brother and is a good head shorter. I'm worried he may have inherited my insulin resistance and lifelong weight struggles that come with it. Of all my children he looks the most like me, right down to the short and stocky build. He's only 3, so I don't want to go crazy about this, but then again, if he's in for a life of struggle, better to know about it early and hopefully preempt the issues. Is this worth a special consult with the pediatrician sooner than his next birthday?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 8:02 pm
What's the downside? A $30 copay and an hour's wait? ON the other hand, waiting until next year can cause you (and him) so much agmas nefesh... why wait?

- just the opinion of a mom going through the exact same thing now with my 6-year old DD)

Optione

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 8:24 pm
Let's say there is an issue. What would your pediatrician tell you to do?
Can you take those steps regardless?

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 8:50 pm
I guess the doctor would be able to guide me as to how to handle with such a small child. There is no junk in the house already and I keep all my kids active. I would have to explain to him what he may be up against without giving him a complex (I know I have a complex...my parents still hector me about my weight). Not sure when/if to test him for insulin resistance. It is genetic (I got it from my dad's side) and he seems to have inherited a lot from me, so probably got this too :-( My other kids are stringbeans, I hope they don't notice he's the odd one out.

MyUsername

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 3:09 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with consulting the doc, and maybe getting a referral to a nutritionist who specializes in children under 6 to see what his food/calorie intake is really like vs. what it should be. But, don't have your kid with you when you discuss it. The best way to give your kid a complex is to have them hear you obsessing over their weight.

So take your kid to the doctor to get weighed/measured/checked, then have your husband or someone else (even bring a babysitter) take you kids to the waiting room or back home while you discuss your concerns and the options with the doctor.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:12 pm
I would do it. No reason to wait a full year when it's clearly causing you anxiety. Can't hurt. Worst case, the doctor tells you he's fine. Which is actually the best case Smile

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:22 pm
For years I have been taking my husky DS for a height and weight check twice a year. I started doing it for my underweight DS when he reminded me of a skeleton. Usually I request it to be done if they are sick around that time and my dr is happy to accommodate.

ange

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 3:46 pm
Optione wrote:
Let's say there is an issue. What would your pediatrician tell you to do?
Can you take those steps regardless?

I agree. If you say he already does not eat junk, then maybe he needs more physical activity. You can enroll him in a sports program and he won't get a complex from that. And try to feed him nurtrient dense food that's lower in calories. So he feels full but on fewer calories. For example, center the meal around fresh veggies, veggie soups so he fills up on that and less on the high calorie foods.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 4:07 pm
Do you really have to take a 3 year old to a nutritionist?
I would think go yourself and get some ideas to implement.
I contacted a nutritionist for my 8 year old - and she was adamant that he not know we even spoke. I know 3 is really too young to know - but I still think it should be avoided.

Pretty much we only drink water during the week (cut out the juice by supper). Tried to introduce healthier school snacks (not so easy) and start the meal with soup and salad. My heaviest child is also the most active and eats the most soup and salad at the start of the meal. I really find some of it is his build. Although some has to do with sleep apnea.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 4:59 pm
It sounds like you've already got the diet and exercise covered. I would ask for blood work to be done, to check sugar levels and insulin. If there is a metabolic or hormonal disorder, the sooner he gets balanced, the easier he will drop the weight.

I'm sorry you're struggling too, and I'm really sorry that your parents were not supportive. You are a great mom for being so sensitive to your child's needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics