Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Electric glass or gas cooktop in new kitchen?

jkw

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 11:14 pm
Posting here hoping other new olim have answers...
With thanks to Hashem, we are able to put a new kitchen in our apartment in Jerusalem.

Always had gas in chutz and am open to either. What would you choose and why?
Tia

grace413

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 11:34 pm
Gas.

We don't have blackouts as often as we used to but they still happen. This way you will still have a way to cook if there is no electricity.

I'm not up on the cost of running gas vs. electricity.

The default here is gas so you will also have more choices.

(Also I like gas better.)

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 4:20 am
I also prefer gas- so much easier to turn off the stove quickly without needing to move the pot, and you can lower the flame quickly too. I've never understood the advantage of electric.

EBY

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 4:43 am
I have had both. I believe the running costs of electric are lower, at least in my experience. I think it looks nice because it's flat and easier to clean because there are no parts.

mrsjay

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 5:38 am
Have gas at home and electric in vacation home.....Gas all the way ....for cooking purposes the advantage of actually seeing a flame is great ...if you keep a flame on yomtov having gas is good as well....only positive I can see with electric is it is flat and cleans easier.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 5:40 am
I have a glass ceramic electric cooktop because there is no gas in my home, and I strongly recommend against it.

It is impossible to kasher in between the burners, so all the space in between is treif. Pesach cleaning is also next to impossible. So unless you have one stove for dairy and one for meat, and you don't need to use either for pesach, it's a bad choice.

http://www.star-k.org/articles.....eams/

sweetart

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:27 am
Another vote for gas. It is easier to control precisely as well easier change the temperature quickly.

Karnash

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:29 am
I like to cook and as I usually have a full house on Shabbat, I cook a lot. When I started looking in to the issue, I realized that chefs and restaurants all use gas. It is easier to control the flame and regulate the heat. When I re-did my kitchen I stayed with gas.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:15 am
Definitely gas. Glass cooktops look pretty when they're spotless but a nightmare to get clean. I can't imagine anyone who said they're easier to clean actually has one.
Besides for that I also like the authentic feel of cooking over a fire so much better.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:35 am
Gas is absolutely superior for cooking, BUT, there are safety concerns.

With a blech, you want to make sure that the fire does not go out on Shabbos. You'll need a really good Co2 detector, and you'll have to check it often.

Small children can play with the knobs, turn on the gas without sparking the pilot light, and that will lead to a gas leak, too.

Dish towels accidentally getting too close to the flame can cause a fire (BTDT!)

On the plus side, if you have a small flame going on Yom Tov, and your yartzeit candle goes out, you can start a match from that fire. Much harder to do on an electric burner if it's not hot enough. (BTDT, too.)

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:43 am
We got gas. I'm just used to it.
Dont make my mistake, check that the racks are designed well. If I move my small pot to the side, it tips over. DD got scalded once.
We use a Blech on shabbos, so that was factored into our decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions