Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Need help with Northern California/San Francisco theme

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 3:07 pm
Last summer we took a big family trip to northern California and thought it would be cute if we constructed our Mishloach Manos theme around it, but we're a little bit stuck about things to include, and suggestions for items to include (and costume options) would be greatly appreciated:

Relevant places and ideas that we went are: Golden Gate Bridge (Golden Flow juice or Golden Fluff popcorn?), Alcatraz, curvy Lombard Street, Chinatown, Silicon Valley/Google, panning for gold, Yosemite (Half Dome), Lake Tahoe, really tall redwood trees, huge sequoia trees, Golden State Warriors.

For costumes we've come up with prisoners (Alcatraz), Steph Curry and Kevin Durant jerseys, maybe somebody panning for gold?, but we KA"H have more people and could use some more ideas.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 3:32 pm
Is anyone going to "get" your theme? Or are you going to have to explain it with a poem?

The golden flow = golden gate bridge is not obvious.

But it's a cute idea, and if you can do it, go for it.

Chinatown - chopsticks/fortune cookies
Redwood trees - red hots or red vines

challahchallah

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 3:38 pm
If you don't need them to be tied to specific tourist destination, you could also add some foods that are iconic of the area like sourdough bread or anything with avocado. Also, did you go to Ghirardelli square? You could add some chocolate. For Yosemite, you could add trail mix maybe but that one you'd definitely have to explain.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 5:31 pm
Sorry for not mentioned - yes, we will have a poem explaining and making clear the significance and connection of everything in the Mishloach Manos. Ghiradelli chocolates is a good idea, except that we and most of our friends keep Chalav Yisrael. Please keep the suggestions coming!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 5:52 pm
Have you seen the movie 'Inside Out' about a girl who moved to San Francisco?
You could dress up as the characters, and add different colored candies/gumballs.
Actually a good idea for purim- inside out=venahafoch hu?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:44 pm
challahchallah wrote:
If you don't need them to be tied to specific tourist destination, you could also add some foods that are iconic of the area like sourdough bread or anything with avocado. Also, did you go to Ghirardelli square? You could add some chocolate. For Yosemite, you could add trail mix maybe but that one you'd definitely have to explain.

What does avocados have to do with SF? I had a second home there for several years and for the life of me cannot link this association.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:04 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
What does avocados have to do with SF? I had a second home there for several years and for the life of me cannot link this association.

Ok, I retract the suggestion since I guess it's more of a general California thing than bay area specific. I suppose I was thinking about the fact that when you hear a food that's a California [blank], it frequently means there's avocado added (California omelette, California burger, California toast, etc). There are also multiple avocado festivals in the state.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:07 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Ok, I retract the suggestion since I guess it's more of a general California thing than bay area specific. I suppose I was thinking about the fact that when you hear a food that's a California [blank], it frequently means there's avocado added (California omelette, California burger, California toast, etc). There are also multiple avocado festivals in the state.

To the bold. There are two avocado festivals in CA. Carpenteria (300+miles from the city) and Fallbrook (480+ miles from the city). Fallbrooks orchards are falling to housing developments leaving Carpenteria festival as the biggie even though it is only 30 years old.

As far as things unique to the city, there is always Fisherman's wharf, Haight Ashbury, and of course Irish coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe. Those of us who have been lucky enough to consider the city as our home are fiercely loyal will always pick the Irish Coffee at the BV as #1. Very Happy

You may also want to consider the Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Lombard Street, Union Square, Twin Peaks and Alcatraz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics