Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
No money for needed evaluation

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 4:57 pm
It's hard enough to have a struggling kid, we need to take him for a proper evaluation. He's been diagnosed ADHD and auditory processing . WE've been going through therapy that's been very good for many years. Now, he's a teen and he's changed. He needs a proper evaluation as he's not doing well in school at all.
I've been trying ot get him ago a Dr who will give the evaluation he needs, no one takes insurance!!
The prices I get range form $1000 for students to $3500 for a Dr!
Right now I don't have $1000 and if I scraped and borrowed I'd feel like I'm getting second best if it's a student!!
A friend of mine has a kid with issues and they can pay what they need and I see that kid succeed and although I'm happy for him, I'm so jealous that my kid will not get the help needs Sad Sad Sad Sad

Life is so unfair!
We work hard but have many expenses ( including insurance which doesn't help here).
The evaluation is only the first part!
I've made so many phone calls already.
The places that are sliding scale or possibly free have months of waiting lists, he can't wait any longer Sad
I just want to cry! I'm not the crying type!
I do what I have to despite having a few kids that are very difficult, which is partially why we have no money.
I feel like if I was given the difficult kids, how come I don't have the resources to help them?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 5:16 pm
Call your insurance and find out who you can see. We were successful with a developmental pediatrician who accepted our insurance. Just be prepared for a long wait...

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 5:22 pm
I called the insurance, they were less than helpful!
They couldn't even tell me which Dr's see kids, they offered to call each Dr and ask!
I don't have time anymore!
That's the problem!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
Call your insurance and find out who you can see. We were successful with a developmental pediatrician who accepted our insurance. Just be prepared for a long wait...

Do your own research op it's easy enough to find developmental pediatricians in your area who take your insurance. It doesn't take that much times. The waiting list for those who take insurance is usually months.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Feb 10 2017, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
I called the insurance, they were less than helpful!
They couldn't even tell me which Dr's see kids, they offered to call each Dr and ask!
I don't have time anymore!
That's the problem!
Let them call each one and do the work for you... You can research each name they give you afterwards. Its certainly worth a try.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:
Let them call each one and do the work for you... You can research each name they give you afterwards. Its certainly worth a try.

Op can easily do this research herself on the internet.

cnc

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 7:51 pm
The waiting lists for these doctors are months long. The day or two that it will take you to make calls won't really make a difference.
If you post your location, others may be able to chime in with recommendations.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:16 pm
not sure what type of evaluation ... but the board of education in your school district should be able to do an evaluation for free

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:26 pm
greenfire wrote:
not sure what type of evaluation ... but the board of education in your school district should be able to do an evaluation for free

Where I live, a small town, which is why I don't want to write where I live, the board of ed takes forever! Months and months!

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Where I live, a small town, which is why I don't want to write where I live, the board of ed takes forever! Months and months!

I didn't ask where you live ...

every evaluation gets put on a waiting list ... because these type of doctors are always booked ... so you would wait months regardless & the board of education is your free right

why would anybody pay for something you can get for free

nicole81

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:

The waiting lists for doctors who take insurance and do evaluations also take many months. This is never an easy process.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:

Is there a lawyer you can consult with? The board of ed has a certain amount of days to conduct the eval and if they do not you are entitled to take your child for an independent eval and have board of ed cover the expense. Check with a lawyer about the rules in your county.

When my child needed special placement and the board of ed was taking forever to place my child, I contacted an educational attorney and was told this. I was able to place my child and the board of ed paid the tuition.

Lastly, is it possible to reach out to friends, neighbors, family, and ask for handouts?

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:24 am
Not sure if it varies but in NYS the board of ed has to complete an evaluation within 60 school days of your request. Find out if that is true where you live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)