Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What else to make with pepper steak that can be kept warm

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:11 pm
Pepper steak was on sale so I want to do something special for Shabbos Smile
Actual peppery pepper steak is OK but I'm not SO into it so wondering if there is any other delicious idea. I also would need to go buy peppers because I don't own any right now.

Also, because it's for Shabbos, it needs to be something that can be kept warm for at least a couple of hours without starting to taste like cholent.

TIA!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:14 pm
I always serve it with a side of rice.
If you're not so into it, make it differently. Either using a different sauce that you do like, and/or switching out the peppers for some other julienned strips of vegetables.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:16 pm
I am actually making beef and broccoli this week with pepper steak. Its a crockpot recipe so my plan is to keep it in the crock til dinner. Add a side of brown rice and thats enough for us.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:22 pm
ra_mom, details please. I'm not about to experiment with random sauces and veggies and methods on a meat I'm not familiar with.

I thought I heard that with beef and broccoli if you leave it too long the broccoli gets yucky? How does that work with a crockpot?

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:28 pm
I am going to make this. I planned on assembling tonight and putting it on the second I walked in the door tomorrow.

http://damndelicious.net/2014/.....coli/

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:31 pm
Oh dang. That's a lot of sugar and I can't use soy sauce Sad (allergy)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:36 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....00010
Omit the soy sauce and peppers and add some more salt to taste. Undercook it if you’re planning on keeping it hot for a number of hours but don’t want it to taste like cholent.
Steam some broccoli separately, keep at room temp, and mix together right before serving.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:39 pm
hmmm... what can I use instead of BBQ sauce? Due to both allergies and health concerns I don't buy any prepared sauces except ketchup.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:45 pm
I make my own BBQ sauce using this recipe http://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/.....sket/

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:49 pm
Again with all the sugar! Is there anything to do with pepper steak that DOESN'T call for tons of sugar? I never use sugar in real food, only in desserts/nosh!

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:46 pm
I am pretty health concious but I appreciate the balance of sweet and savory especially in Asian food. I will use coconut sugar occasionally on a main course.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:48 pm
I could hear a balance of sweet and savory but these recipes are like a CUP of sugar for a couple of pounds of meat. Seriously?! I'll drizzle a bit of honey over chicken or vegetables from time to time but nothing like that.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:49 pm
For tomorrow I'm reverting to regular chicken that I can make in my sleep because that's what I'm pretty much doing anyway. Everything is still frozen so it doesn't make a difference other than that we were looking forward to the possibility of something different. This way I have a few more days to decide on a recipe and secure ingredients.

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:53 pm
http://www.myrecipes.com/m/rec.....r-fry

This recipe is quick and delicious. It is forgiving enough that you can substitute salt for soy, etc.

Go with the advice of undercooking.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:02 pm
seeker wrote:
Again with all the sugar! Is there anything to do with pepper steak that DOESN'T call for tons of sugar? I never use sugar in real food, only in desserts/nosh!

Hi. When u find THE sauce recipe that doesn't have tons of sugar or soy sauce or BBQ sauce, please be so kind and share it with me!
(I have to omit ketchup as well so not sure I'll ever find one.,.)
Thank you!

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:06 pm
2GN wrote:
Hi. When u find THE sauce recipe that doesn't have tons of sugar or soy sauce or BBQ sauce, please be so kind and share it with me!
(I have to omit ketchup as well so not sure I'll ever find one.,.)
Thank you!

We also have a severe mustard allergy so I feel pretty hopeless on that count Wink
Though I'm thinking of asking the allergist if it's safe to use soy sauce because we used it fairly often before we knew about the allergy and had no reaction (the reaction was to actual soy, not soy sauce). Thing is no reaction isn't the same as no effect so I'm waiting for an expert to weigh in because the doctor who diagnosed the allergy didn't seem to have a solid answer to this.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:17 pm
seeker wrote:
We also have a severe mustard allergy so I feel pretty hopeless on that count Wink
Though I'm thinking of asking the allergist if it's safe to use soy sauce because we used it fairly often before we knew about the allergy and had no reaction (the reaction was to actual soy, not soy sauce). Thing is no reaction isn't the same as no effect so I'm waiting for an expert to weigh in because the doctor who diagnosed the allergy didn't seem to have a solid answer to this.

Food allergies are NO fun!
Is turmeric OK? I don't use mustard either, and substitute turmeric in recipes calling for mustard.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:55 pm
Turmeric is fine but not at all like mustard... I do use it in seasoning though

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:19 pm
seeker wrote:
Turmeric is fine but not at all like mustard... I do use it in seasoning though

Ya, like using carob instead of cocoa, u close ur eyes and Pretend...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics