Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need help with longer Shabbos afternoons

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 9:45 pm
Now that Shabbos is starting to run later (and with the clocks changing in 2 weeks) I'm thinking about how difficult Shabbos afternoon gets with the longer daylight hours. We don't live a walkable distance from any parks or friends and family, so Shabbos is already pretty lonely to begin with. The shul that I like is over a mile away, and I hate the closer shul so if I'm not up for the walk I don't go to shul at all. We have special games/toys for Shabbos and it doesn't help much. Kids still get bored and whine and start fighting or making messes. It's only going to get worse as the days get longer. I need some ideas for making Shabbos afternoons more pleasant.

elisheva25

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 9:50 pm
If you have space in the backyard invest in a trampoline ?? My boys love it and I have mine for a few years . They are on it every shabbos afternoon from Spring till fall
Other than that not sure what else to suggest
How is it that there are no frum people around ? Where do all other kids live?
Maybe make your kids take a nap? True they will go to bed later M"S but at least this way you get a break.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 9:51 pm
I'm trying to remember those days. I'm the first hug. Not because my memories are so bad but because I feel for you. I'll just leave you with this: We didn't use the eruv. How did we get through? My husband must have stayed home with the non-walkers because I was out a lot - walking to Bnos/Pirchei/kids' friends. We had a number of regular Shabbos treats. I went to the library for more books for Shabbos. One, at one point, lent out toys, so we had new stuff. I'd do mega garage saling and often had a "new" toy for Shabbos.

My point with all this is - oh, and I forgot to mention that this was before I had my act as together I have it (kind of) so erev Shabbos was often hectic - my kids have decent memories about and feelings for Shabbos. I hope you get some great ideas, have lots of koach, and don't just survive but thrive. Be'H you too will be amazed by your kids' warm feelings one day.

ETA: reread your OP. Sorry to bring up friends and socializing opportunities. I realize that this makes your situation more challenging.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 10:01 pm
There are plenty of frum people around, just no friends. That's why I prefer the farther shul, the people nearby are just not nice. The people we're friends with are on the other side of town. Only my youngest still takes naps.

mha3484

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 10:51 pm
How far away is a park? My oldest at 2 1/2 asked me if we could walk to a park that is around a mile away. I was skeptical but he walked the whole way there back was a little more kvetching. You would be surprised what our kids are capable of.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:30 pm
Nearest park is over 2 miles away. Even if the kids were fine walking that much, I'm certainly not interested in such a walk, especially in the summer.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:54 pm
I look forward to long Shabbos afternoons because then both DH and I have a chance to nap instead of switching off weeks like we do when Shabbos is short.

How old are your children? Do you live in a house or apartment? Suggestions that may help will depend on answers to these questions.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:05 am
I serve Shalosh seudos at their regular supper-time and put them to bed.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:09 am
I'm been thinking about this because my baby is almost age that she needs more than staying home because I can't push her in the carriage on Shabbos. We have eruv but dh don't hold with that but it's his parents belief not his and he's close to it changing his mind about it.

So what I do for now??? Teaching my child Shabbos is resting, home playing, outside playing in front or back of our house, making fun things close to home since my child only can walk a few steps and for one 24 day she can't go out in stroller. For now.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:12 am
Every week we go to the library and bring home a suitcase full of books for Shabbos reading.

I also hire a sitter for a few hours, as not all the children are interested in reading.

The sitter plays hide and seek with them, board games, and she brings toys and games from hèr house sometimes.

Sometimes the sitter takes one or two kids to the park.

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:23 am
Shabbos parties are popular here. Perhaps you could do the nosh as a reward for being nice to siblings.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:30 am
Squishy wrote:
Shabbos parties are popular here. Perhaps you could do the nosh as a reward for being nice to siblings.

This gives me pause. I think Shabbos parties should be in and of themselves a given as oneg Shabbos and to help them love Shabbos. Maybe one added special nosh if they behave but don't take away a Shabbos party for garden variety acting up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics