Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hey Jackson Amothers!!
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:46 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Truth is, I don't understand the need for a dorm for boys who live in Lakewood and learn in Lakewood. Why can't they stay home and be part of family life, just like your high school daughters are?

I totally can't understand it at all (though admittedly, I don't have boys). I couldn't imagine, in my wildest thoughts, sending my girls away from home at the age of 14.

However, everyone's needs are different, and it seems there are yeshivos with dorms that are thriving and going strong, and people are sending their sons there.

And forget about high school - seems like most boys will go away to Yeshiva at some point - at least for Bais Medrash.

So - since most people will be sending their sons to a dorm at some point - the question is a valid one. Where should that dorm be located? On the moon? Not in my backyard, but in someone else's?

I remember one of my sisters once lived on a block with a dorm....and those boys were annoying. One year - Purim time - they made a mess on her front lawn and sprayed her car (IIRC with spray string). She called up the yeshiva, and within an hour her lawn was cleaned up and her car was washed down. But it was annoying and upsetting, nevertheless.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 9:33 am
One reason in the past Lakewood boys have been sent to Dorm is because the high school options with good English programs aren't great.
R' Aahron didn't allow English in High schools in Lakewood. All the high schools for years followed that. A few now have English programs but there aren't a lot to choose from and most aren't that great. Many boys still go to no English yeshivas and go to a special program on Fridays to supplement.
My DH's family sent all their boys out of town so they could get an English high school education while not going against R' Aahrons rules of no English in Lakewood. For some Jackson is probably a good way around that (that is why there was the Belmar yeshiva for a while - they had an English program when it wasn't so accepted).

(that will probably be interesting to see how the boys high schools evolve in Lakewood as the community grows and more and more boys are graduating from a a variety of schools)

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:04 am
sky wrote:
One reason in the past Lakewood boys have been sent to Dorm is because the high school options with good English programs aren't great.
R' Aahron didn't allow English in High schools in Lakewood. All the high schools for years followed that. A few now have English programs but there aren't a lot to choose from and most aren't that great. Many boys still go to no English yeshivas and go to a special program on Fridays to supplement.
My DH's family sent all their boys out of town so they could get an English high school education while not going against R' Aahrons rules of no English in Lakewood. For some Jackson is probably a good way around that (that is why there was the Belmar yeshiva for a while - they had an English program when it wasn't so accepted).

(that will probably be interesting to see how the boys high schools evolve in Lakewood as the community grows and more and more boys are graduating from a a variety of schools)

I understand the idea of sending a boy to dorm out of town. But if the parents live in Lakewood and the yeshiva is in Lakewood, why does the boy need to dorm???

sky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:27 am
Maybe its for OOT boys. I don't think Lakewood boys dorm in Lakewood or Jackson + it costs much more money to dorm so I don't think parents do it just because.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:33 am
There's a mesifta and dorm right near my house and I hate it. The boys play music, sing, yell etc till 2 am most nights. We spoke to the rosh yeshiva and some rebeim who claim they can't do anything bec the boys don't listen.
It gets so bad, I sometimes think of selling my home and moving so I can get some sleep at night.
Going anon bec if ppl see my sn they can figure out where in my town I live.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
There's a mesifta and dorm right near my house and I hate it. The boys play music, sing, yell etc till 2 am most nights. We spoke to the rosh yeshiva and some rebeim who claim they can't do anything bec the boys don't listen.
It gets so bad, I sometimes think of selling my home and moving so I can get some sleep at night.

If they can't do anything about it, they could be taken to a Din Torah. Or someone could call the police - that would scare them into compliance.

summer0808

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:56 pm
pretty much All the bais medrash yeshivas have a dorm even if they have mostly local boys. Their schedule is pretty intense till 11pm so it doesnt pay to go home. t

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
If they can't do anything about it, they could be taken to a Din Torah. Or someone could call the police - that would scare them into compliance.

Then everyone will scream. Mosar

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:06 pm
sky wrote:

This is not an issue anymore, there are quite a few mesivtas with english programs now in lakewood. Most boys cannot sit and learn from morning until night and need the break of english. Just like sit down eateries became accepted in lakewood, this also has.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 8:39 am
amother wrote:

This is not right. Perhaps a Rav could speak to the rosh yeshiva? The boys have to be held accountable, and the adults in the yeshiva have to be in charge and address the issue. Even for their own sake - they could get into trouble.

I know there was a yeshiva on my father's block (not in Lakewood) and they used to come home late Friday night singing their heads off. My father complained and the issue was addressed very politely and with an apology.

This is not the Torah way.

I'm all for the existence of dorms, but they have to be done with yashrus.

sky

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 10:04 am
I'm not close to applying for boys high schools yet, but my friends who are have complained that there aren't that many great options with English. Some are choosing non-English programs and supplementing because they they feel like they don't have a choice. These are working parents. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from them. I'm constantly surprised by those sending to non-English schools.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating