Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to cook a roast without a themometer

WastingTime

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:11 pm
All google is giving me is methods to feel your the flesh on your fingers to teach you what level of doneness your meat is. No thanks. Can I approximate and then poke it open a bit? I will be slicing in the kitchen anyway before serving?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:15 pm
Do you want it to be medium rare or is it a well done braised type roast?

WastingTime

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 5:03 pm
I want it medium-rare. If I wanted it braised that would be easy- like a I make brisket, till fork goes in easily. This I plan on dry roasting (or a bit of liquid at the bottom of the pan)
Any way to do it? Must be...

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 5:19 pm
this is what I use but I also do check with a thermometer at the end to be sure it's at the temperature I want (depends on heat of your oven and the roast shape/if there's a bone etc). It's better to undercook and then warm once sliced to get less red than to overcook. let roast get to room temperature, Roast in a 450F oven for 10-15 minutes. Turn down the oven to 350 and continue roasting (15- 20 minutes per pound, including the 15 min at 450)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen