Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim let down

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 9:45 am
Every shushan Purim I feel moody and kind of funny . Anyone else feel like this?

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 9:49 am
Of course, I am tired, the house is trashed, I have to go to work and deal with it all later. The kids have to wear costumes to school, but getting them up and dressed to do that is torture bc they are so tired too. It is a hard day. Hopefully, the whole purim experience will leave good memories for the kids - in the end. Right now, we have to pay the price of a huge mess and lots of exhaustion.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 10:18 am
Of course. Yesterday was my favorite holiday bar none and today I'm back at work. (Don't get me wrong, I'm quite grateful to have a job to get back to.) I have to start eating sensibly and exercising again AND get into serious gear for Pesach AND do all the things that have been put off "till after Purim"--like INCOME TAX RETURNS! Who wouldn't feel let down?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:25 am
Yes. I ate regrettable things - they were good and I'm not really sorry, it's just one day, but they don't enhance my day-after mood. The house is a mess - I still have things to clean up from Shabbos and the laundry that I did before Shabbos. We all went to sleep late and overstimulated. The kids are still asking for more of their Purim nosh. The good news is I took the morning off from work because I work in a Jewish school that has Purim nonsense going on today. The bad news is I was so wasted from yesterday that I didn't actually accomplish anything and it's almost time to go try and rescue an afternoon worth of work. And of course, while I was focused on Purim the last few days, the rest of the world didn't stop and wait so now it's all going to crash down - phone calls to return, mail to process, appointments to make, and it's time to think about Pesach between all that!

Why did I even join this thread, lol.

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 12:20 pm
Yes because I feel gross and ate too much junk.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:52 pm
Enlighten me. How is this different from the day after any YT or vacation? Because it's just one day so you don't have time to get sick and tired of YT and pray for it to end? Because your kids are off from school on isru chag? Something else?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:56 pm
I think there's always a hangover- whether you were drunk or not...

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 2:27 am
amother wrote:
Enlighten me. How is this different from the day after any YT or vacation? Because it's just one day so you don't have time to get sick and tired of YT and pray for it to end? Because your kids are off from school on isru chag? Something else?

That's a good question.

It's very hectic because it's very active. Most holidays we aren't allowed to do much. There's frenetic preparation on erev yom tov, but then you basically just sit back and enjoy yom tov for at least a day or two. OK, maybe sit back and enjoy is an exaggeration for those of us who are still doing a lot of the meal preparation, serving, and cleanup, but I still think it pales in comparison to Purim when you have a meal to prepare, serve, and clean up but also need to get most of the family out to shul/megillah twice, and typically engage in a good amount of mishloach-manos-management. Other holidays you're not even allowed into the car; this one you may spend a chunk of your day in it. All holidays are supposed to be celebrated joyously but somehow people take the merrymaking a lot more seriously on this one, leading to more noise overwhelm and social activity. Plus, because it's not a full holiday, some may also have work obligations to fit into all this.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:43 am
seeker wrote:
That's a good question.

It's very hectic because it's very active. Most holidays we aren't allowed to do much. There's frenetic preparation on erev yom tov, but then you basically just sit back and enjoy yom tov for at least a day or two. OK, maybe sit back and enjoy is an exaggeration for those of us who are still doing a lot of the meal preparation, serving, and cleanup, but I still think it pales in comparison to Purim when you have a meal to prepare, serve, and clean up but also need to get most of the family out to shul/megillah twice, and typically engage in a good amount of mishloach-manos-management. Other holidays you're not even allowed into the car; this one you may spend a chunk of your day in it. All holidays are supposed to be celebrated joyously but somehow people take the merrymaking a lot more seriously on this one, leading to more noise overwhelm and social activity. Plus, because it's not a full holiday, some may also have work obligations to fit into all this.

I like the hint of ma nishtana in this post. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics