Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Awful head shape = sheitels look bad

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:45 pm
I have a very big, round head. (HURRAY!)

My sheitels only look good if I wear them a certain way and after a few hours they kinda bounce back into a position where they look unnatural and it looks like I have way too much hair on the sides - I look verrryy wide headed too. It's so embarrassing - I feel so ugly! On purim for example I looked great in the morning but when I looked in the mirror after my seuda guests left I looked TERRIBLE!

I thought it was the sheitel's fault, so I got a new one. Nope, it's just my head shape. Anyone else have this?

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:57 pm
Sweetie, first of all: you do not have an awful head shape. Stop that talk. Every woman is beautiful and we just need to find the right style for you. I am a shaitle macher. For rounder faces, the idea is to keep the sides flat, layered, and sleek, and then gradually bring hight to the crown. The length should be at least 2 inches past your shoulders, and that will elongate the look. Putting curls in the crown, waving the middle, and gradually getting straight on the bottom gives a long look. feathering the sides and bangs (side bangs generally look good on round faces) keeps the sides flatter. Not all layers and feathering are the same, your shaitle macher needs to be really skilled in how to cut and not just do a "standard" that she does for anyone. Depending on your chin's shape, a wavy bob with sleek, long fronts and side bangs can be really flattering. If you really can't get the cut right, wearing headbands or accessories can be a lifesaver in getting the sides flat and the top higher (think those thick sweater bands and pulling the top up a bit). Sometimes, wavy long hair (at least 4 inches below shoulders) with side bangs and choppy side layers/crown layers can look good, but I hate long wigs on older women (sorry for anyone that offended). Also very important--you will do much better with a wig that has some body/coarseness but is not frizzy. The sleek ones will not hold the very specific style you need, and the frizzy ones will become afros over the day--Hatzlacha.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:06 pm
PassionFruit - you are so knowledgeable! What you have described is exactly what I have tried to explain to the sheitel macher.

I got my sheitel directly from a top sheitel macher in Israel and she just didn't get it.

Arghh.

My newest sheitel is a little below the shoulders (I'm young-ish - 25 - but this is the longest I'd feel comfortable with). The hair is so soft and it hardly keeps its style. It is wavy and is cut for full bangs but I usually end up wearing them to the side. If I pull back half the hair it looks much better but a. I think it looks a bit nerdy like that, and b. it always falls out quickly as the sides are a bit layered

What do I do?!

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:29 pm
If you are in Israel, go to Devorah Leah Adler, only her and not her workers. She is a master. Expensive, but you need someone artistic that understands shapes and what is flattering, not just style. I like Kikis and Dinis, NOT Shevys or Miris (flat)

imeinu

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:40 pm
can you try pinning it up only on the sides - but not fully. meaning let the layered hairs an inch or 2 back cover the bobby pins. I see a lot of women wearing it that way and will help keep the sides flatter without that completely pulled back look. cross 2 bobby pins into an x shape to hold it tighter.

yshmitty

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:50 pm
Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a really good sheital macher

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 4:08 am
I'm in Jerusalem.

I can't afford ANOTHER sheitel. I have two - one is very thin but ironically looks better. The other is just a year old, very thick. I know it needs something doing to it. I used to have a third one that I kept cutting until it was no good, so I sold it.

Devorah Leah Adler is a name I have come across. I wonder if she'd be able to help me with the ones I already have.

I've tried pinning a bit back but it doesn't stay and if it slips a bit it looks far worse - the widest part of my head is just where the bobby pins go.

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:34 am
Bring the wigs you have to DLA. Her hands are magic.

fish35

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:14 am
Approximately how much does DLA charge for a wig?
How much for a cut?

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:28 am
PassionFruit wrote:
Bring the wigs you have to DLA. Her hands are magic.

Okay I'm sold. Where is she and what's her number?!

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:30 am
Passion fruit, you sound very caring and knowledgeable.... Would you be able to mention where you are located?

OK... Just reread... Im guessing Israel.... Oh Well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels