Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do to keep from gaining?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:39 pm
I know that I will probably gain over pesach... so many meals and not the usual foods. Yes, I am eating pesach cakes and chocolate, meat and some sides that I normally so not eat. However, I find that by just not having any bread or challah I am already in a good place. Last succos I really gained a lot. Each meal there was a lot of challah. I find that I am one step ahead without the challah. The matzah has no oil, eggs or sugar. Sure if you eat a lot it wont be good for you, but it's not the same as eating challah by each meal.

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:02 pm
#1 pesach diet tip - don't eat anything with more than 1 T of sugar.

You can still enjoy: fish, meats, soups, salad, fruit, cheese - even matzah!

You won't eat: chocolate, cake, dessert.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:06 pm
agreer wrote:
#1 pesach diet tip - don't eat anything with more than 1 T of sugar.

You can still enjoy: fish, meats, soups, salad, fruit, cheese - even matzah!

You won't eat: chocolate, cake, dessert.

also oil .. I use so much oil over pesach. More oil in 1 wk than I use in 3 months!

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:20 pm
CatLady wrote:
Quinoa may be your new BFF. For breakfast, you can use it as the base of a breakfast bowl, topped with fruit and Greek Yogurt, and maybe a sprinkle of nuts. It can also be turned into a salad (tabbouleh with tons of chopped parsley, oil & lemon dressing and chopped tomato and onion), or with leftover roasted veggies.

Definitely invest in a spiralizer. You can do everything from zucchini to cucumbers to potatoes (spray with onion-flavoured cooking spray and then roast at high heat for amazing curly fries!), even apples which can be dusted with cinnamon and topped with a few raisins and nuts then baked. Cauliflower is another staple in my house. I use it to make breakfast hash browns, served with a fried egg. (Season with salt, pepper, paprika & pan-fry in a no-stick pan)

Now might be the time to try a different veggie for crudites. In addition to the typical carrots & celery, I also like fennel and jicama to munch on.

I love quinoa, but regrettably, it is not approved for me by Rav Avrohom Blumenkrantz zt”l, Crying Crying Crying It is also fattening, so I try to limit it in any event.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 2:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
Do you make your own pickled kohlrabi?

I usually make a different fish for supper. Sometimes I make a chicken dish, but I use a lot of exotic spices that aren't available. Last week I made tuna fish with chickpeas, chicken with whole wheat gnocchi, sumac chicken with cauliflower and carrots. For me to stick to a diet, I seem to need food that is interesting and varied.

My pesach recipes are so boring and fattening.

AIUI, the problem with the spices we use year-round is potential emulsifiers, anti-clumping agents, etc. But whole herbs and spices are fine, you just need to grind them yourself. Penzeys has a few whole spices that might be OK. Pereg also has a decent assortment. So you may have more flexibility than you think. (Or try substitutes. You can use lemon zest and salt instead of sumac, for example. At least according to food.com)

Use sauteeed and roasted vegetables for flavor. You can caramelize onions in your crockpot, and use them in recipes with chicken or meat. Roasted carrots are sweet, and don't need anything more than a touch of olive oil and sprinkle of salt. Brussels sprouts are nutty when roasted. Cauliflower "rice" also has a nice nutty flavor when roasted.

You can find KLP goat cheese. Its so creamy and delicious (IMNSHO) that I only need a little, and don't need dressing on a salad its in.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 3:34 pm
It sounds like squishy has chassidish minhagim.

What about using fresh chili and ginger? Both can be peeled.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 3:39 pm
More protein less carbs
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics