Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How many kids is too many for an almost 16 y/o to babysit?

luckyme

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:13 pm
IY"H we will be attending a wedding next month and were planning to get a room in the hotel where it's being held. DD is watching my youngest three, a 5 & 2 who are fairly self sufficient (I.e. potty trained, etc.) and the baby (5 mos).
When word got around, we have had several requests to have her watch some other people's kids also. Because the Kallah grew up here many of the young girls will be attending, so sitters are scarce.
We would like to help out so some of the mothers can go, but... How many is too many for her to watch? She is VERY responsible and mature B"H, and we would be able to check on her frequently (as would the other parents), but obviously the line must be drawn somewhere. Suggestions?

mali

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:17 pm
If she has a 5-month-old to fend for, I wouldn't advise her to take more than just your own kids. Sounds like more than enough for one teenager to handle.

luckyme

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:37 pm
That was my first instinct also. The other mothers don't seem too fazed by it at all, like it was completely natural, and I was starting to wonder if I'm being too cautious. One has a 9, 8 & a 5. The other has a 10, 8, two 6's and a 4. By the way, they came to me together, so they knew how many kids there would be in that room!

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:55 pm
Hope you get some good videos! Seriously, I would think the hotel may not allow that.How mature are the 9 & 10 yr old? I've had some that age that were capable of babysitting,but I don't think in the confines of one standard hotel room it's a good idea.If dd has friend who could come & get a suite then it sounds ok.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 2:22 am
considering the 16 year old is mature ... and the parents will be close by ... and there ara 8 & 10 year olds ... it actually doesn't seem so bad ... and the next in line kids (5 & 6) are also similar ages - it actually may be more fun for the kids with "friends" ... and the main concern is the baby - but since she is yours your dd should be able to handle it ...

im not into cell phones but she should be left with one as well as the moms - so that reach is easy access and not a run around the hotel issue ...

yes - if she has a friend would be better ...

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 2:43 am
I'd also 2nd the need for a friend. We were at a wedding in Newark...the groom's parents took a room at the hotel and provided 2 babysitters for 3 families. HOWEVER, between the 3 families, there were 4 babies under 2 (out of a total of 7 kids), so they definitely needed the bodies. That said, I think there are enough children, even though they're older that a 2nd supervisor is a necessity. It might even be mandatory, legally speaking, for the hotel to allow it.

raizy

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 10:01 pm
if she has someone else to help she should be fine. and really what does a regular low maintaince baby do.?eat and sleep!!! and the rest of the kids are old enough to watch themselves under her guidance. and also leave alot of nosh. chips etc. for her to dole out throughout the evening. so the kids will listhen to her.

luckyme

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 10:23 pm
Yeah, my baby is pretty low maintenance, B"H! We are trying to find a friend who can help her, but most of the girls are actually attending. Otherwise, I think we have to turn them all down Sad as I don't think it would be fair to accept one family and not the other. We're still hoping though!

raizy

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:41 pm
no just tell them that if u dont find a babysitter to cobabysit with your daughter then maybe they can split the time.half the night one and half the night the othr family get to go.

and also why dont u try to get rooms connecting to each other so that the whole gang is not in one room all the time.

Annie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:55 pm
I think the size of the room with that many kids late when they might be tired is more of a worry than the total number of the kids. It also depends on the type of kids the others are. Are they responsible and quiet or are they rambunctious and look for ways to get around things.

My dd is 8 and there are some of her friends that I wouldn't want with her in a small room with only one babysitter, but others where there could be 5-6 of then and they'd be fine. depends on the kids, but a hotel room is very small for that many kids, especially if the baby wants to sleep.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:26 am
luckyme wrote:
Yeah, my baby is pretty low maintenance, B"H! We are trying to find a friend who can help her, but most of the girls are actually attending. Otherwise, I think we have to turn them all down Sad as I don't think it would be fair to accept one family and not the other. We're still hoping though!

honestly don't think you have to turn them down ... it's not like she will be in the boondocks all alone ... the parents will be nearby ... a friend is always better - but alone they seem like a handlable bunch for how you describe the ages and temperment of baby plus ability of your dd ...

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:31 am
How does your daughter feel about the situation?
What does she feel she can cope with?

jewgal84

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:36 am
I personally would try and find a friend, like others suggested. But if you can't I'd trust my instincts on how much she can handle.

Don't forget...it's late at night, most of the kids will be tired after such a long day..and travelling too, so by 9pm, they'll hopefully fall asleep.

By 16 yrs old, I was a counselor at camp already!

If your daughter, as you say, is mature and responsible, I'd go for it, I'd also leave a phone with her in case and get the mothers and urself to check on her frequently.

Good luck and mazel tov, enjoy the night off!!

ChavieK

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 11:39 am
Camp counselor is quite diff than being cooped up in a small hotel room with that many kids.There isn't even enough bed space if they do want to sleep & then the ones who want to play a game/watch a video etc won't have a place to go.

luckyme

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:13 pm
I'm starting to lean towards doing it. DD wants to do it and feels like she can handle it just fine. We plan to get a suite or 2 rooms together (whatever's more reasonable), so there should be enough room for all. We will give her a phone & because I'm still nursing, I'll probably be up there at least twice for an extended period of time in addition to "checking up". The other kids are pretty well behaved according to DD, who has watched them all before at their respective homes. Ditto from DH who sees them at shul. Hopefully, with snacks & games they should be occupied! I'm still holding out hope for a friend though...

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:00 pm
hey ... luckyme ... good for you ... she'll be fine ... and I hope you take the kids home and have the room later ... What (sometimes life is too hectic to think of the obvious)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children