Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which Hot Cups are ok according to Blumenkrantz book?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:02 pm
I know they dont allow styrofoam.

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:08 pm
I just looked it up on blumenkrantz guide for you. He writes that Win brand hot cups sold in Costco and other places are good for Pesach. Styrofoam should not be used year round also.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:12 pm
Do kosher groceries watch all year around or I need to be on top of them? My grocery might not care much. I know him

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:13 pm
You have to be smart consumer and not necessarily rely on grocer to carry only products that are ok. I have seen both products in groceries just purchase what you want.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:24 pm
esuss wrote:
I just looked it up on blumenkrantz guide for you. He writes that Win brand hot cups sold in Costco and other places are good for Pesach. Styrofoam should not be used year round also.

For those who shop in BP (not Costco), which approved for Pesach Hot Cups are they buying?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:37 pm
BUMP

amother wrote:
For those who shop in BP (not Costco), which approved for Pesach Hot Cups are they buying?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
Do kosher groceries watch all year around or I need to be on top of them? My grocery might not care much. I know him

Rabbi blumenkrantz is often machmir where others are not. I definitely would not assume groceries will be following the most chumradik opinions.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 4:58 pm
What are people buying who don't want to buy styrofoam?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Rabbi blumenkrantz is often machmir where others are not. I definitely would not assume groceries will be following the most chumradik opinions.

Isnt ALL meat at ALL the supermarkets packed in styrofoanm these days? Is that ok bec the food is cold?

mirror

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
Isnt ALL meat at ALL the supermarkets packed in styrofoanm these days? Is that ok bec the food is cold?

Therefore all meat and chicken found in all Kosher supermarkets are treif. The only chicken that is not treif are whole chickens in the plastic wrappers. Cool

ariellabella

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:03 pm
If you want to know what the OU has to say about hot cups, search "hot cups" here https://oukosher.org/passover/ for a couple options.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:05 pm
OOC what is the matter with styrofoam?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:07 pm
It's not that styrofoam itself if a problem material wise, but that many brands coat them with starch. I'm not sure if it's to prevent sticking or what. But I assume KLP chicken/meat is packed on trays that are not problematic.

mirror

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:11 pm
ariellabella wrote:
If you want to know what the OU has to say about hot cups, search "hot cups" here https://oukosher.org/passover/ for a couple options.

I was looking forward to standing in the paper aisle Erev Pesach and snapping pictures of women buying Styrofoam cups. No way am I going to let the OU rain on my parade!

Drunken Smile

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:12 pm
I just read a who,e page rabbi blumenkranz writes on this topic. I am not entirely sure what the problem is with styrofoam. If you want to you can read it up. I totally rely on his psak. If you don't you don't. It's ok.

I would put it up I just don't know how I'm writing from a iPad.

If anyone can tell me how I would put up a link here.

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:31 pm
Ok just asked dh. Rabbi b. Basically says that the companies use trief materials in their production so the foam doesn't stick to the molds.

He says that for cold it's ok. For the meat companies it's ok bidieved. So he says if you want to use it for co,d it's ok but it's a bidieved. No one wants to do things bidieved in their houses.

The ."win" company is kosher. Even if it has a logo from win on the bottom of the cup it's also win company and it's kosher.

Not sure for pesach though.

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:12 pm
ariellabella wrote:

Dixie Hot Cups Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
Solo Cup 8oz Paper Hot Cups Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
Publix 8oz Paper Hot Cups Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
Solo Cup 16 oz. SSP Paper Hot Cup Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.

Ok, now who sells these in BP?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics